Taste of some Mississippi blues

David

It aint no delta blues, but it's the only kind of blues I know. I wrote this song a few yrs back for my wife when we were going thru some problems. I didn't record it with a click and it shows in a few places. Would really like to hear any feedback on the recording, good or bad. I just up-loaded this so I hope it works.
www.javamusic.com/555

David,

I liked the arrangement especially the movement of the
guitar. On the mix, it seems to me that the crash cymbal is
a little to loud and you might want to pan it away from center.
It was clashing with the lead vocal and kinda distracted me.
The lead vocal could come a bit and so could the kick.
These are just my opinions.....

Good recording though..nice fat sound!! :)

Hey thanks for your time and input elbenj. Yeah that crash is eating my lunch for sure, it's an electric kit so I couldn't pan anything but should of tried to eq some of that harshness out. I also think the lead vox should come up just a tad maybe. Hey and thanks for the "javamusic" link, it was ready for stream and down load as soon as it got there..pretty kool. Thanks bro!

David

I totally missed this post. Don't know how. I listened to the song. I agree that the crash is a little hot, but other than that, the drums sound pretty good. I'd like to hear a little warmer eq on the bass guitar.

That's about the only critique I can come up with, the song itself, including the vox, guitar work, and songwriting is really good. I like the chord voicings, really soulful piece with some bite. WHew.

Ray J

My drummer makes over 100k plus a yr Ray, you would think he could come up with a decent kit. I just can't seem to dial in a bass tone for the life of me, thinking about trying out that bass pod to see if it will help. May try and remix this thing with a little eq and see if I can get that crash and bass more musical sounding. Thanks for the listen Ray and the coments.

David

Like a mellowed out version of Walter Trout blues.

He's a local blues-man that made it in Europe and occasionally returns to rock out his old haunts.

Your progression sounded like the way he structures his non-standard slow stuff. There were a few spots where the timing seemed just a tad off, but you got a nice hot sound to disk. As for that crash- you should be able to drop the velocity on each hit if it's MIDI-based. Not as time-consuming as you might think. Filter for only crash events in the region of interest (the whole song if necessary) and enter a suitable % of the current velocity as a replacement. It only got out of hand a handful of times.

Hey doc, Walter Trout eh, I'll have to check him out. Yeah my timing is terrible, that's what happens to ya when you dont play live with a band, just stay to tied up to do that anymore.

We didn't record the drums via MIDI, he has before and I know what your talking about as for as changing the velocity of the hits. Just wished the guy would break down and get some real drums, that would really make some improvement. Thanks for the D/L and coments doc.

David

Back