Talking 'bout... (take 2)

R

RAMI

Pop music........

I re-did the drums and bass to this, as per everyone's comments in the other thread. It's my first time recording in the new house. The bass doesn't really matter because it's direct. But I didn't know how the drums would sound here, so I was crossing my fingers. I think the room sounds pretty good. I'm happy as shit because it's a smaller room, but I did alot of treatment to it.

So, the only things new here are the bass and drums. I'm still curious to hear how vocals and guitar will sound.

Let me know how this sounds....thanx.

NOT TO LOVE YOU

Mate, what's the trick with the bass? It sound really, REALLY good. The bass solo is excellent!
Drums sound great to me - good bass drum thump.
Both retrackings instruments seem a little up in the mix - that'd be natural though.
This may not be your style of music but you do it well - melody, harmony & chiming guitars - stuff you do in your sleep you mongrel!!!!!
Changing rooms or even re arranging one takes a lot of getting used to. - You'll crack it.

Mate, what's the trick with the bass? It sound really, REALLY good. The bass solo is excellent!
Drums sound great to me - good bass drum thump.
Both retrackings instruments seem a little up in the mix - that'd be natural though.
This may not be your style of music but you do it well - melody, harmony & chiming guitars - stuff you do in your sleep you mongrel!!!!!
Changing rooms or even re arranging one takes a lot of getting used to. - You'll crack it.

I concur. I'm very envious of that bass sound (and the kick). Please let me know how you did it. (compression/eq/etc.) Thanks man, and keep up the good work!

-Joel

Phase issue now gone.

What was it incidentally?

Tom to Snare mic Phase?

OH phase?

While i like the Bass sound really ... in 60's tradition I’d thin that bass up a bit I’d not necessarily turn it down just thin it up.

like it's a Vocal and beat sound.

1. vocals
2. beat.
3. melody
4. bass.

anyone can disagree and will but that's what the other version had that thin bass sound, so you see it was all vocals and beat. but i understand why you re-tracked the bass.

that's why i was trying to understand a beat re-track on a full song the bass is never in time again (well, not to me) (so then i re-track the bass then the Melody)

sounds great just thin the bass up again.
less is more in this case.

Drums sound great - I think you have the right setup and settings for them. Nice and clear and even sounding. I like the short decay on the cymbals - that's partially playing maybe but it is cool. Bass sounds tight as a rat's ass (watertight).....

Hey that alot guys.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the old track...Could have been somethnig as simple as not making sure my mics were placed well...laziness!

The bass...well, first of all, I changed my bass strings for the first time in about 2 years. That probably helped. As far as recording, it's just an Ibanez bass plugged into my Focusrite pre-amp, with a very little compression. I then compress and EQ a little bit while mixing. One thing I think helps my bass sound good is picking HARD. I monitor, when I'm tracking bass, at a volume that forces me to play hard. I'm not sure if that's any secret to real bass players or not, but my bass doesn't sound as good if I play soft.

the BlackBay said:
While i like the Bass sound really ... in 60's tradition I’d thin that bass up a bit I’d not necessarily turn it down just thin it up.
You're probably right. I wasn't thinking "60's" when I was mixing this, even though the song style might call for it. I don't think I'm good enough at mixing yet to worry about anything other than getting a hopefully good mix. Good point you make, though.

Thanx for all the comments...I'm happy with my new room, though I haven't recorded vocals yet. I think that's the real test.

Sounds better for sure.

Love the cowbell. Do you use use one of those foot-beater cowbells, or a standard mount?

I'd like to get a foot-beater bell, but I'm not quite limb independednt enough to use it effectively. :o

RAMI - post some pics of your new room when you get a chance....:)
Yes, I tried last night, but my camera kept eating shitty batteries. I have to go get some good batteries and I'll post some soon.
Sounds better for sure.

Love the cowbell. Do you use use one of those foot-beater cowbells, or a standard mount?

I'd like to get a foot-beater bell, but I'm not quite limb independednt enough to use it effectively. :o

It's just a regular hand held cowbell that I overdubbed. The timing isn't great on it, but I like the sloppy feel. :)

As usual, sounds pretty good to me man...nice and punchy drums, and a great bass sound. Vocals are sitting pretty also...:D

Some nice all around playing, and another fun tune to listen to. I'd love to have this nice a mix.

More cowbell!!!!!:D

Great as usual Rami! :D

The one thing I do hear is the phasiness and comb filtering in the cymbals. From the room maybe? I know you said you treated it, but I don't remember your cymbals having issues before.

As usual, sounds pretty good to me man...nice and punchy drums, and a great bass sound. Vocals are sitting pretty also...:D

Some nice all around playing, and another fun tune to listen to. I'd love to have this nice a mix.

More cowbell!!!!!:D
"You must spread some more cheetos before insertion"
Usually everything needs more cowbell, but in this case, it's just right. :)
"same as above"

Thnax dudes.
Great as usual Rami! :D

The one thing I do hear is the phasiness and comb filtering in the cymbals. From the room maybe? I know you said you treated it, but I don't remember your cymbals having issues before.
Hmmm...Thanx alot for the listen, NL. I'll have to solo the drums and check it out. I noticed that I wasn't getting enough stereo spread at first, so I raised the cymbals a bit. I'm also a few feet away from a wall, so you may be right.

Question: Would you generally move overheads closer to the kit in a smaller room?? Or is the distance of the mics dependant more on the quality, instead of size, of the room???

Everytime I hear something you post, I tell myself I've got to buy this guy's CD. So this time I actually went to CDBaby to buy the MP3 download and there is a problem with the purchase. Seems it gets posted twice in the cart. I've already sent CDBaby an email and hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Gotta say, love the stuff you put out. Keep 'em comin'

Cheers,

Everytime I hear something you post, I tell myself I've got to buy this guy's CD. So this time I actually went to CDBaby to buy the MP3 download and there is a problem with the purchase. Seems it gets posted twice in the cart. I've already sent CDBaby an email and hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Gotta say, love the stuff you put out. Keep 'em comin'

Cheers,

Hey Chili, I really appreciate that alot. I didn't even know CDBABY started selling the CD's as MP'3. So I just went and put the price down to 7.95. It shouldn't be the same price as the physical CD.

Let me know if you keep having problems at CDBABY, I'll send you one for free.

Thanx again.

Hey Rami, nice work on the snare sound. The bass does seem a little thick but the main thing I sense is that this was mixed by the drummer. The song seems to call for the lyrics to be up front but when I listen to them I keep hearing the snare cracking through like it's more clear than the vocals. It could be just an effect of the chorus and/or harmonies you are using but I'd still like to hear the drums set back in the mix some. I think with that I'd focus more on the songs message or not:) As usual, great performance!

Hey Chili, I really appreciate that alot. I didn't even know CDBABY started selling the CD's as MP'3. So I just went and put the price down to 7.95. It shouldn't be the same price as the physical CD.

Let me know if you keep having problems at CDBABY, I'll send you one for free.

Thanx again.

you're welcome. I'll let you know if nothing happens in the next few days. Maybe you would want to contact them. Thanks for lowering the price.

Cheers,

Hey Rami, nice work on the snare sound. The bass does seem a little thick but the main thing I sense is that this was mixed by the drummer. The song seems to call for the lyrics to be up front but when I listen to them I keep hearing the snare cracking through like it's more clear than the vocals. It could be just an effect of the chorus and/or harmonies you are using but I'd still like to hear the drums set back in the mix some. I think with that I'd focus more on the songs message or not:) As usual, great performance!

Thanx buddy...You may be right about the drum level. I deliberately haven't listened to it for a few days. I'll listen again later on and it might be obvious to me. I mixed this right after re-doing the drums and bass, so there's a good chance that one or both of them might be too loud. Thanx alot for the advice.

EDIT: (1 hour later)...NYM called it, baby. I just re-mixed it and had to bring down the drums and bass while slightly pushing up the vox.

I'll post it later.

Last edited:
Back