Take Me Down.. To The River

I'm not crazy about the synth sound at all...it sounds really harsh to my ears..I'm not sure it you are using pitch shifting or not, but it sounds like it.

)

It sounds distorted. There is a lot of noise in there.

The song is very good, I like it. Its a nice arrangement. The strings are pretty loud and really competing with the lead vocals. There are also some voicing problems that I wont get into.:D

It´s meant to be distorting, I doubled the track and complety destroyed it with a distortion/fuzz plugin, which I mixed in to taste.

If you want it, you want it.:confused: However, the average listener really isnt going to know what to make of it. It literally sounds like a mistake. For me, its really taking away from an otherwise excellent production.

It are real strings in fact.. a doubled violinplayer and cellist. And a real mellotron instead of synth.. Thanks anyway! ;)
Sorry about the mistake..but I think it happened because of the 'distortion' ...they sounded like a synth to me.;)

We all have certain ideas of what are striving for, in the kind of sound we want to produce and if that is what you were going for, then you got it!!!....:)

I do like your song tho..

It sounds distorted. There is a lot of noise in there.

The song is very good, I like it. Its a nice arrangement. The strings are pretty loud and really competing with the lead vocals. There are also some voicing problems that I wont get into.:D
Oh please do, what exactly do you mean?

If you want it, you want it.:confused: However, the average listener really isnt going to know what to make of it. It literally sounds like a mistake. For me, its really taking away from an otherwise excellent production.

What exactly are we talking about here? The mellotron in the intro, right? Or the real violin/ cello-parts. Are they too harsh for your taste by the way? I wasn't too fond of the results from my best available mic, NT1a

Sorry about the mistake..but I think it happened because of the 'distortion' ...they sounded like a synth to me.;)

We all have certain ideas of what are striving for, in the kind of sound we want to produce and if that is what you were going for, then you got it!!!....:)

I do like your song tho..

Thanks, but also for you: was this about the mellotron or the strings that come up later in the song? The tron was definitely not supposed to sound 'good', more authentic ;) half of the signal was sent through a guitar-amp, that how I got it.

nice.

I actually like the distorted-flute thing; it adds a nice weirdness. For some reason I think that part would sound better recorded backwards in the intro, so that the notes fade in instead of out. The real strings and vocal harmony are gorgeous. Very cool sound.

Oh please do, what exactly do you mean?

What exactly are we talking about here? The mellotron in the intro, right? Or the real violin/ cello-parts. Are they too harsh for your taste by the way? I wasn't too fond of the results from my best available mic, NT1a

I didnt have a problem with the string sound, I thought the players did a nice job too. the voicing:

Basically, you have 2 violins and a cello if I recall. the 2 violins should basically be moving as one unit. They dont.:D Its distracting to the listener and doesnt make a whole lot of sense, it sounds more like "jamming" than a well thought-out string accomp.

Think of the violins as vocals: with vocals, one part has the lead and the other harmonizes. Its the same with violins. In your song, what they are doing is contrary to one another, its as if they are playing two different songs. Its too "busy" for the music. What you really have is a low budget orchestra.:D Its not 3 people, its one unit with three parts that should/could move as one. I assume they are improvising, when what would really work is a game plan WRITTEN down that would force them to move together at the same time. The part after the vocals where the strings play alone: one violin is two octaves below the other.:D I noticed that immediately. String writing is very organized and very utilitarian, it all moves together.

As for the mellotron, it simply sounds distorted. As you said, you wanted that sound so if you want it, you want it. However, to the listener like me it sounds more like a bad recording job than anything else, it sounds like a "mistake".

There. I hope you realize that I do like the song since I spent so much time with it, take that as a big compliment.:)

Back