Sunday Morning...

Nice sounding song. Real nice vocals. I love those harmonies. Beautiful acoustic guits.

Not sure about that electric... Lots of of "stuff" on it and I'm not sure it fits with the rest of the music.

Chris,
Nice work man. I think you did a great job all around. Peformance was very nice! Some good feeeling there. I did not care for the spacy guitar at first but it grew on me and provided some nice texture.

Regarding the bass, I might try a little more compression just to see what happens. Play with your attack and release a little. That might solve some of the resonation issues.

I did not care for the lead tone or EQ at the end. Very narrow.

Good job. I really enjoyed it. Vocals sounded really good. I liked the reverb choice on this one.

Todd

i know almost nothing about johnny cash other than the fact that he died. god rest his soul. he seems to be respected by most people that i respect and if this is representative of his stuff, i'll check out more. or maybe chris you could just do an entire cd of his stuff and i'll listen to that?

my only comment (listening on headphones) is that the vocals sound like they might be just a tad over de-essed? something sounds just a little off about the ess's. can't comment on the bass unless I burn it for my car. That's my best bass exposure environment.

the "second beer for desert" hooked me on the song.

Sounds good. everything....
I think itcould use some soft light piano coming in the background on last verse and vampout.
OK Harris, I Know I`m already runnin' behind on one thats coming to you soon, but want in on another one! :)
Ken

Pedullist said:
Good decision to keep it far way from drums

Yeah, it probably was a good decision. Of course, I added drums before I read your post, lmao. THANKS!!! :D

I believe the bass resonates harder at some points, results in a 'vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeewwwwwwww' sound
That's it exACTly. I never even thought about it being the actual bass itself...figured it was some kind of sympathetic frequency thing that you have to have those billion dollar multiband compressors to control... What I've tried now is graphing out the low end against the original tune and seeing where the spikes are...then I used a smasher compressor (like 9:1 with no output/input gain) on JUST between 60 & 150Hz on the bass track. I expected it to shrink down to nothing, but it really didn't. I think it might have helped...or made it worse, one or the other. :D

Btw, I love the spacy guitar part.
See, that's one of those "love it or hate it" things, I think. I'm glad you liked it. The guitarist for Emmy Lou Harris does ALL this distorted, ambient stuff on her acoustic tunes that's just TOTALLY out of place, but I like it a lot...so I'm trying to rip off that sound...only not as well, lol. Thanks for taking the time, Ped. I keep saying I'm gonna' get a new bass, and I keep not getting a new bass, lol.

studioviols said:
My only real complaint is that at 4:51 the damn guitar is so loud we can't hear that incredibly beautiful and tear jerking fiddle solo ... damn ... well, I guess maybe next song ;-)
Please...oh PLEASE. You know, I tend to post stuff kinda' "half-assed" a lot so that I can get ideas (and tracks from musicians) before I'm totally sick of the recording, lol. PLEASE, OH PLEASE, PLAY ME SOME FIDDLE??? I suffered through years of my daughter's screaching viola practices, and now that she can actually make MUSIC with the damned thing, I can't get a track out of her, lol. Anyway, thanks a ton for listening...if I actually PLANNED some stuff out instead of just throwing tracks together whenever the kids are gone, I'd have actual music on my CD, lol.

Khompewtur said:

Mixwise the only thing i could offer was that at the 5:00 mark (the solo) i started to get some rumbling on the right side and maybe some of the high's on the high part introduced there could be shaved off.
Thanks for plowing through this, man. You even proved that you made it all the way to the end, which is a feat of endurance to be sure. Spot on with the guit comments, btw - I ditched that outro and played another one and faded it before that quake-like rumble part comes in, lol. Anyway, I appreciate the time and the ears a lot...be good.

drstawl - thanks a lot, man. Too kind, too kind. :D

TripleM said:
Not sure about that electric... Lots of of "stuff" on it and I'm not sure it fits with the rest of the music.
Yeah, that's putting it mildly, lmfao. Actually, with the exception of the acoustic tracks, everything about this is just "wrong," which I knew when I posted it...but in a way, that's why it's in there. Johnny Cash did all kinds of bizarre stuff...(probably the amphetamines, lol). But whether it was that bizarre vocal delay he used a lot, or covering a NIN tune, he did stuff that didn't fit, which I think is why I'm such a fan. Ramble, ramble...blah, blah. What I'm saying is, "THANKS FOR YOUR TIME, MMM"

skids said:
I did not care for the lead tone or EQ at the end. Very narrow.
"Narrow" is one of the nicest euphamisms I've ever seen for "TOTAL SHIT," LOL. Seriously, I totally appreciate the listen and the post - see my response to Trip for my "reasoning," lol...but I'm positive that I'll hate it in 2 days. :D

erichenryus said:
the vocals sound like they might be just a tad over de-essed? something sounds just a little off about the ess's.
You know, it's funny you mentioned that. I've become so freaking anal about sibilance that I can't even sing normally anymore. There's actually no de-essing or any compression at all on that lead vocal...nada. Bad reverb, that's it. But I (almost unconsciously) pull back on the hard consonants when I'm tracking now, and I noticed on here that the final product is worse than if I'd just sung it and De-essed, lol. I sound like I'm missing teeth! So that's my lot in life, now...I'm the human Autotuner with built in De-Esser - lol -

the "second beer for desert" hooked me on the song.
GOT TIME FOR A QUICK STORY?? Okay, well I do, so here goes. I'm listening to an interview with Johnny Cash on NPR about a year ago, and he was talking about this song in particular. It was written by Kris Kristopherson, who had made the scary move from Texas to Nashville to be a songwriter...so of course, he's a Nashville janitor inside of 3 weeks. However, Kris was a janitor with the ability to fly helicopters...a little skill he picked up in the Air Force. His songs were weird (I call them genius), and he was ahead of his time, in my opinion, but he was Janitor, nonetheless...and he was depressed about it, and drinking a lot, and writing too. He wrote this song, and he KNEW it would be perfect for Cash.

So he steals a helicopter and (no shit) flies it onto the front lawn of Cash's home. Even a star of Johnny Cash's stature notices when choppers land on the front lawn, so he comes outside to see what the hell is going on, whereupon Kris informs Cash that he's an aspiring songwriter who has written the DEFINITIVE Johnny Cash song. Cash listened to it on the spot, loved it, recorded it, and (as they say) "A STAR IS BORN." (movie pun there for Kris).

Far as I know, the story is true. I need a chopper.

Toki987 said:

OK Harris, I Know I`m already runnin' behind on one thats coming to you soon, but want in on another one! :)
Ken
Kenny - YOU, sir, get all the time you need from me. Please see my response to the Viola Guy for my track philosophy. If you ever get bored enough, and if you want to, I'd LOVE keys...always. ALWAYS!! Thanks for the listen, man. :D

HevyD - Your post meant a lot to me. Didn't mean to slight it by omission earlier. I hoped somebody would "get" this, so thanks.

Drew - Will do. I'm sure it's great. Thanks for the spin.

Myx - your wife sounds like a genius, lol. Thanks, man.

I did a (shocker) "remix," with drums. They suck, and they took forever, and I'm pretty sure anything that was decent about the tune has been obliterated by subsequent EQ'ing by now, but the good news is that I save all my mixes, so that six months later, I can listen with some objectivity and usually end up with the safest one, lol.
www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

Not asking anybody to relisten, I just mention the remix so that the thread is less confusing in case somebody listens to the latest and wonders why the fuck nobody mentioned the fact that Reggae drums REALLY don't go with this song... :D

CHRIS WROTE :
-------------------
and now that she can actually make MUSIC with the damned thing, I can't get a track out of her, lol.
-------------------

ROFL ! , just wait till she starts asking for the keys to the car ... then you'll get some tracks ;-)

Tell her I want to collaborate and want her to do some tracks also.

I am at your service, whenever you like.

i can't possibly picture this song with drums so i'm no going to listen to that chris. i mean "christh". Stop de-essing you weirdo.

That's a funny story about the janitor who would be king. Where you gonna land your 'copter?

Honestly Chris, it's the best cover of that song I've ever heard. Your vocals are very good and fit the song just right. Good job man!

bd

I like it

It might be recorded a little hot--I heard some crackles in there.

Nicely done though, Its a great piece seldom done.

Hey Chris,
Very cool homage man. Very nice considering the short time it took to do it. ...a couple of little drum stumble issues, and mix thingys, but definitely nice and heartfelt. I like that distant "highway" guitar... ...really pretty, and nice vocs as usual.
Nice one bro.

Hey ... I listened to this song and it didn't have drums. Now it does. I like it better with drums. A lot better. But that's just me.

Really nice job, and really good cover.

A BREAKTHROUGH!!!

So I've been fighting this bass problem for awhile now (every since I started putting more bass in my mixes, lol). The problem is that there are spikes (or resonances, as Ped put it) that rattle the crap out of my car. I've compressed the bass into oblivion, no help...then only thing that kills it is turning the bass down, (or surgically EQ'ing on those "hot spots" across a whole mix, which is more work than I'm capable of doing...and more importantly, it has a weird effect when the EQ curves change.

So I'm pissed, b/c I hear mixes all the time that have a LOT more low end (warm, fat), but don't rattle crap...And on speakers/monitors/headphones, there's usually not a problem (and it sounds cool), which is why we don't see more mention of it in the clinic, but on some cheaper speakers (like the ones that come standard with my wife's current minivan), I can't even LISTEN to a lot of my crap w/o turning the bass practically off...this annoys me, and always has, and is a big reason why I tend to not have a lot of low end in my mixes.

I'm slow, and everybody else probably already knows this, but I figure it's worth posting.

The problem is that I've been trying to fix ONLY the bass instrument. (or the kick, whatever is setting it off). But when I ran a very severe low band compressor OVER THE WHOLE MIX (restricted to 0Hz-80Hz), compressed at 99:1 for anything that tries to go over -22db, the spikes (and the rattling) finally got tamed.

Sorry to bump my own crap again, but I'm hoping someone finds this useful for something, lol.

Re: A BREAKTHROUGH!!!

chrisharris said:
Sorry to bump my own crap again, but I'm hoping someone finds this useful for something, lol.

Thanks for sharing. This type of info is always helpful and it makes a lot of sense. Of course I don't think I have a compressor I can limit to certain frequencies. Doh! I'll check it out.

edit - ...and if I do have a compressor that does this, I probably should have been using that feature already. Doh! :D

Re: Re: A BREAKTHROUGH!!!

skids said:
it makes a lot of sense.
I hope so, lol...of course, I just ruined the last mix by setting my attack waaaay too fast...killed the kick completely, lol...it sounds like a typewriter now.

SO, THE LESSON HERE IS, USE LONGER ATTACKS ON BASS STUFF, lol.

I'll stop posting now.

EUFREAKA !

Because it takes longer for a plucked bass string to reach peak amplitude ... and of course much longer for it to decay, so whatever happens that is nasty during the decay ... (transient peaks ?), that rattle stuff around ... that needs to continue to be compressed, with a much longer release ... and you have to start that just before the peak amplitude of the 'slow' bass string.

Everything is just slow motion with the bass ...

I'm a larnin' stuff !

I don't see what's bad about it, Chris. You have this sweet, very straight-forward way of songwriting. Cool guitar tone, the vocal harmonies rock too. The drum samples are pretty good as well :). By the way, I'm not listening to this as a Johnny Cash fan, so I don't know if it's a cover or not.

Hey Chris. Nice cover. What a great song. One can't help but wonder if this would even have a chance of getting cut today. I don't care I like it and you did good job of it.

I have funny story about this song. We were on vacation in North Central Minnesota at a little resort some friends of ours own. We all went out one night to one of the local watering holes and they happened to have karaoke there that night. I used to do a mean Garth Brooks imitation. Almost a dead ringer. So I got up and did “Shameless” and blew the place away. Then I think I got up and did some other song (can’t remember what it was, this is where the drinks started to count :D). I came back to the table and sat down and some guy came over and asked if I would sing “Sunday Morning Coming Down” for he and is wife. Somewhat ashamed (because I really like the song) I informed him that I knew the song, but didn’t really know it well enough to sing it. He got really pissed off and started threatening me. Said he was gonna meet me out in the parking lot and kick my ass. LOL. Well I wasn’t that worried because I am fairly big and the friends I was with were a lot bigger and tougher than me and from appearances (although you never know) it looks like his beer muscles were talking :D. I still get a big kick out of that when I think about it. Kind wish I knew the song better back then though.

Nice tribute man!!

Sounds good Chris. Good mix too. I like the drums for this too actually. Good space. Good job!

Tom

Back