Stu and Kev - "Fred is Dead"

You can turn up the heartbeat kick a bit. You could add a bit of air to the vocal during the verses if you wanted to see what that sounds like.

I love how you start this off sounding like the Dead and then morph into Floyd territory later on.

I like the tune and the musicianship / playing is great..I for some reason thought of PF time and as I listened to your mix I wondered what was bugging me...I'm no engineer...just a dumb piano man but I decided to listen to the separation / placement of instruments in PF time and in your tune and a huge difference...not to say there's is right or yours is wrong just a whole different approach.

I heard someone say listen to recordings you really like and play them back to back or back n forth with what you are mixing... It was interesting doing that with Time and your tune...

Take a listen ..Fricking Alan Parsons was a fledgling lucky mofo to get the opportunity to mix this album and put him on the map as a genius..I'm not so sure it was him or the music but the album has kind of sold well over the years..

Interesting because I was never really into Floyd or Parsons like I was other bands. I liked their stuff a lot but I never bought any of either's albums. It's tone and melody that grab me so I keyed into both bands. The ending lead solo on Eye in the Sky, for instance, that sticks out as the primary aspect of that song...tone and melody. The orchestrated instrumental beginnings of most Floyd songs are appealing...they grab me right away. I like their use of space. All this time I didn't know Alan Parsons engineered it and got Clare Torry to do those vocals. Very cool.

Last edited:
You can turn up the heartbeat kick a bit. You could add a bit of air to the vocal during the verses if you wanted to see what that sounds like.

I love how you start this off sounding like the Dead and then morph into Floyd territory later on.

I need to get that kick up....I know...still not sure what happened.

It's funny because that whole intro is me and the when it morphs into Floyd it's Kevin. He sent me the 12 string, lead vocal, and bg vocs. My sister had a few Dead albums but when I was nine years old but I was afraid of LSD so I avoided them :)

This is probably the final mix on this.

I added air on the lead vocal, brought the heartbeat up a lot, and fixed some of the little timing issues.

I appreciate all the comments. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nope. Worked just fine.

I think I fixed the drum/kick/heartbeat thing.

... and really, Stu. 6 separate tracks of bass guitar???!!! :D

New mix is up top and ... here:

... btw ...

If you thought you'd heard it, you haven't heard this version. Substantial changes.

:)

Tinkered more with it ... swapped out some of the new drum sections ... made several mix changes ... high frequencies were being eaten too much by cymbals etc ... and other stuff.

But I'm thinking it's about time to stick a fork in it. :)

Tinkered more with it ... swapped out some of the new drum sections ... made several mix changes ... high frequencies were being eaten too much by cymbals etc ... and other stuff.

But I'm thinking it's about time to stick a fork in it. :)

True to form, I lied about being done with it. I had some things I wanted to add, and other mix changes I wanted to make. The snare started to bother me ... so I changed it. I added a vocoder to the lead vocal ... it's subtle, but blended in.

I'm thinking about adding a reedy organ too. Too much?

New mix is on my links. Stu's link has his original mix w/ the simple drum part.

Back