Started this one last night

PaddyGordon

My friend is a singer/songwriter and wrote a song a few years ago titled "Twenty Three", this year his girlfriend's decided as a christmas present to re-arrange the song to an orchestral/piano sounding piece and has changed the words (and also added that her life started at 25 as they're 25 now :P) as part of his christmas.

Steph Grant - Twenty Five

What do you lot think of the mix etc and what do you think can be improved in the next 24 hours.

It's also the first time recording with my new mic so the vocals may need eq-ing but I like outside opinions

Only managed a brief listen so far, but I think the vocals need de-essing and a bit of a boost to the mids to give them a bit more life

Steph has a beautiful voice!

The piano seems to be a bit lifeless to me....maybe I am crazy, but to me, it seems lacking in air/sparkle/sheen. Not a fan of the kick drum sound, or the drums that much, would like to hear more a jazzy-style drum sound.

Vocals seem a lil loud, maybe bring them down a touch. Still sound a bit on the silibant side.

Sweet song, overall good job.

I changed the piano from a Yamaha C3 Neo sound to a cheap, slightly out of tune upright piano sound only for added realism.

She requested the vocals sit above the mix cos I had them sitting what I thought was right (but ofcourse there's always a bias :P) and I'll have a look into the drums cos I'm sure I have a few Jazzy drum sounds somewhere :P

Thanks again for the advice, I've only been producing for a year so all criticism is good :-)

You are welcome!

A lil above the mix is good....overpowering the mix is bad ;). Drums sounded too much like a rock song and that just didn't work well for me with the arrangement.

I would throw realism out the window and go for sheen and sparkle! Just MHO!

Check out my xmas song posted and let me know what ya think, like you, I am just starting out and appreciate all feedback.

The intro piano is the lifeless part: it needs something - probably a little more lilt in the performance.
On a personal pref. level I really don't like her emotives - they sound way too artificial as do the odd starngled vowels and growled bits. She needs to be careful on the adlib'd bits too.
Bass drum is a little blah - probably too clicky (that's a death metal thing) & buried by the snare which is a little loud & odd too.
Nice work generally!

Back