"Speak to Me" - trippy rock original

wow theres a lot going on in there!!

...great trippy vibe....really enjoyed it, excellent stuff :)

thanks kcearl!

glad you dig it

yeh, theres a LOT going on.
it was a bit tricky to mix.....

went thru about 5 different versions of this song, before i landed on this one.

it's cool to work ideas out over time.

then throw a 'one-off-the-cuff' solo on it at the end.
one take, one blow thru, done!
LOL

very cool song. If it were mine, I'd try to tame some of the harshness of the vox a bit. There's a lot of high end on there. I'm assuming you were going for an airy sound on the vox, which you got, but the sibilants suffer because of this a bit I think.

thanks kcearl!

glad you dig it

yeh, theres a LOT going on.
it was a bit tricky to mix.....

went thru about 5 different versions of this song, before i landed on this one.

it's cool to work ideas out over time.

then throw a 'one-off-the-cuff' solo on it at the end.
one take, one blow thru, done!
LOL

I love it......real mish mash assaulting the ears...I wouldnt know where to start mixing this, but its all separate and clear and has a great groove

it doesnt sound dated, it doesnt sound particularly American...more please

bozmillar
thanks for checking it out....
the presence in the voice just had to be a bit sibilent, to get it to sit where i wanted it.
sometimes, i mic the wrong mic choices, and that was the case for this song.
but, i didn't feel this one was TOO sibilent.
what is your playback system?

kcearl
i guess, the idea with mixing this, was voice>>>down.
so, voice, harmonies, solo guitars, then bass, then drums, then background music, then rhythm guitars, but the carving of the eq's was the trickiest part.
there was a lot of masking going on, so i had to spend time hunting the frequencies to cut.
it helps to use something like SPAN to overlay tracks to see buildup, then take it out of one or the other.
Cuts, are key.

and like boz said, things that are TOO sibilent, need de-essing, which i did on the lead vox, but didn't do enough of, to get the smoothness to come across on his system.

it's a crapshoot, sometimes.
thanks again!

ALRIGHT STRIPES!

thanks for chiming in.....

the old boogie is key to the guitar tone....

This sounds really good. Reminds me of Jane's Addiction. The song is fun, and the mix is good too. The vocals do get a little harsh here and there, but not throughout the song. The double tracking on them is also a little off at points, which sounds intentional to me ? Not sure. The bass is awesome, the tone rocks and it really carries the song. I love the little bits of sitar thrown in too. Overall, pretty neat !

saads
thanks for checking this out,and commenting.

janes addiction, yea, i guess i could hear that in places....
double tracking, yes, i'm not going for perfection here, more about attitude, and a rock ethic that isn't over produced.

DAIN

thanks man, glad you liked this one

i've got some new ones in the bag, that will be in this style....

but i've also got a bunch of acoustic stuff i'm working on, as well as a slew of instrumentals...
and all i need, is TIME!!
LOL

the one thing i don't have much of......
doesn't that figure.

I keep going back to this one. Can't get enough of it. Played it at a (psychedelic) party last night and people loved it! Damn bro!

thanks for listening and commenting!!

i really appreciate it.

Beck was one of my earliest influences....

even before i could pull off ANY of his licks, i was trying!!
LOL

i guess hendrix was first, and Beck would be second.

i remember trying to jam with "Rainy Day, Dream Away" off of electric ladyland, when i got my first Vox Wah pedal....

but then when i heard 'black cat moan' by beck bogart and appice, i was off to the races.

i mean, i don't really play anything phrased like beck, but i get his direction, his tone, his attitude, and it's just an influence, so i've tried to find my own version of the same 'dialect'.

if that makes any sense....

thanks again!

Back