sorta religious song, but didn't mean to make one

auburncatfish

I've been out awhile trying to write my thesis, but here's a piece I've been toying with for a couple weeks. Need help working out the equilization. Too much bass here? As always all comments are welcome and appreciated. Good to be back.

http://andrewrypel.iuma.com
song: "God Take Me Home"

Andrew.

Yeah, the bass could come down a little - but only in parts. Some compression might even it out a little, and it might be more a matter of eq-ing out the boominess rather than actually lowering the volume. Damn basses. They be hard.

I'd also like the guitar back in the mix a little - it feels like it's right in my face and the vox are back aways and personally, I like it the other way around.

I'm also hearing some silbilance - I'm very tuned into sibilance right now since I *always* have it on my tunes.:)

Chris

Unique voice (this is good)

big round sound on the guitar/bass I like that, but yes to much bass. The voice is not up far enough in the mix, especially in the beginning, and you know that, don't be shy. What you might think are 'mistakes' or 'technique breaks' in your voice are 'character', show them off, seriously.

Bring the instruments DOWN !, don't be tempted to push the level of the voice up if you are really out of headroom, otherwise bring the voice up.

You have a really neat voice, good, convincing, genuine, let us hear it.

Take a big damn breath in on this chorus-chorus/hook, let your belly fall OUT, like you are bending your knees to fart ... for real, I'm not kidding here ...

Fill up with air in rythm to the music and let it all hang out baby, you got pipes in there, I wanna hear them at some point in this song.

Keep a glass of room temp water next to you, take a sip, hold it in your mouth as long as you can before you begin to record, resist the temptation to swallow it, start thinking about the song ... taking deep breaths to moisten all your vocal passages. Then swallow and very, very gently clear your throat. Take another sip, tilt your head back very, very slightly and gargle very, very gently, pop the water into the back of your throat while you are making the gargle sound ... always gently and your voice will be clear like a shiny little bell.

Clearing your voice roughly will shock the vocal chords and increase tension.

The hooks 'God take me home', think about maybe singing these and holding these out, by taking a big huge breath before the hook and letting it all hang out. That would contrast very nicely with the shorter staccatto vocal in the rest of the song. That would set you up to add some sustained vocals in the hook/chorus ... perhaps a descending figure in half notes synchopated against your straighter presentation of the hook. When the descending vocal backups crossed your sustained lead vocal on these held out hooks, would hear some ultrafine dissonance that would rattle you compared to the relative calm of the rest of the song.

Nice song, you certainly can safely ignore everything I've said, please :D , I think a nice plaintive wailing fiddle accompaniement to fill in those distances between the bits of lyric would be cool.

It's a very genuine song.

Are there already some backup vocal ummmms or ooooos mixed way, way in the back almost inaudible ? Or am I having auditory hallicuniaction. If there are some, I'm gonna have to jump your case, because harmony vocals are golden, golden ... unless they suck, and yours wouldn't.

studioviols@yahoo.com

Nice song Auby. The 2nd backbeat in the measures gets hit a little hard on the guitar. Vocals up some more. the solo part is a little dark. Bass didnt disturb me much, but Id let it sustain a lil more on some of the notes to carry weight. This tune seems to be inspired... :)

Good luck on the thesis. I moved my son up to Conway acres this month, he`ll be there 3 yrs.

Back