Song sample - please critique mix / sound

photoresistor

I just recently got into home recording with the purchase of an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 and N-track software.

To test out everything I recorded a couple of my friends playing a small part of a song (dont remember what its called) just to mess around. It should be known that the mics I used for this are a couple of karaoke-style (built in crappy 1/4" cord) dynamic mics.

So please just listen to this short clip and tell me what sucks about it, how the mix is, how the effects are (too much compression? too little?), etc. Please keep in mind to mix these that i only had headphones to use. *ducks*

the song

I recorded the drums first, one mic in the kick and another pointed up by the snare under the high-hats. Then I recorded the guitar: the mic pointed straight at the cone a couple inches away. Then the guitar player (who is really a bass player) played the bass track using the same miking technique.

Also the reverb is NOT an effect plug-in. It was on the amp for some reason and I dont know how i could change it.

I just recently purchased 2 MXL v57m condensor miks for drum overheads, a shure sm57 for amp close-miking and snare, and soon will get a kick mic. Now if only my 4 canare cords would get here so I could actually use these mics instead of just stare at them.

thanks guys,

daniel

hi there,
You don't give us too much to work with....you should at least post the whole song if you'd really like a good evaluation of it.
Re record the whole thing when you het your mic cords and repost it. You'll get better reception by reviewing some of the other peoples songs in the mean time......they're sensitive in that way!
Welcome to the board.
Jason

Yeah I guess thats true. We didnt record the whole song (its not even one of my bands songs), we just did a little snip of it to mess around with and test everything out. We will definately be recording more (and actual songs) once i get in my cables (ahhhh!!) and other mics so ill post the actual songs/mixes up here then. I probably got a little ahead of myself.

And I'm not sure how good my reviews would be of others mixes but i could give it a shot i guess.

thanks for the reply.

Photo-

Figure out that damn reverb! :D

I can't really hear the bass or drums, because the guitar is too distracting. It sounds like it is clipping, or is just way too distorted. Getting non-karaoke mics should help quite a bit :)

Looking forward to hearing more.

travis

PS - the song is Local H's "Bound for the Floor"

Back