some tips for survival in the mixing clinic

CyanJaguar

hi everyone,

I was just thinking, "why do I listen to one post and not another"
well, here are some reasons. Please feel free to post what makes you listen to one post and not another.

1. Don't have two posts on the same page. i.e If I listen to the first one, I will generally not listen to the next one. Wait for the old one to get off the page,then post the new hit.

2. Sorry, guys, I'm a bit partial. I will listen to jrlemonz, and tubedude, and shailat, and emeric, and kabudokan, and mrlipp, and hard2hear etc. I also tend to listen to the guys who have one of my pieces.
I tend not to listen to guys like mr. ev700 or wetgate 2000, cos I never seen them before.(I sure hope theres no ev700 or wetgate 2000 on this board)
This is not to say that I don't listen to other's work. I do, and I always reply if I listen. Even if I'm hurting after listening to the song.

3. Don't title your song "please, have a listen to these 50 songs"
I generally want to go to your page and listen to one song, and comment on that one song.

4. Don't have the following words in your title
"country"
"rap"
"folk"
"christian"
"satanic"
"punk"
"poetry"
"spoken word"
"live"

if its a smash hit, it will be a smash hit regardless of what genre it is. let us find out for ourselves.

5. Don't post your gear list in your first post. That way, someone will be tempted to listen and ask "what reverb did you use on there", or "what was your signal path"?

6. Do reply to every post about your song. It sounds kinda cheesy even to me, cos I like to wait till after every 4-5 posts, BUT those who reply are those who get hits.

7. Do include the following words in your title.

hot chick
Neumann
PARIS
lucid
tube
jamming
lexicon
hardrock
mastered by sonusman

8.Do listen to other's music. we really like it if you listen to our music as well and give good or bad feedback. I wont forget your name and you wont forget mine.

9. PLEASE, don't put your stuff on a page where I have to register to listen, or where I have to go through twenty pages to find it. Nowhereradio will put allow your song to be downloaded as soon as you post it. Anyone can listen without passwords.

10. If possible, include a direct link to the mp3, such that we can click on it and have it play immediately.

11. have a positive attitude to postive criticism.

12. If no one listens in about 4 days, send us on a guilt trip with something like "friends, no one listened in 4 days. did I do something wrong" or "golly, 400 views today, and not a single response"

13.don't feel bad if no one listens. Se la vie!

I take it that the word "Live" in a subject keeping you from listening to it is just because you don't like live recordings. That is too bad because there are some great live recordings out there.

What keeps me from listening is having to register. I will be happy to host someone's MP3s for nothing if it meant I can listen to it without having to register on someone's spam list. I mean it, send me an Email and I'll post the MP3 and give you a direct URL to it to hand out. I got gigs of space on my server.

jgourd.

I don't like live recordings, but there are some great live recordings out there.

Its just that, in home recording, good live recordings are the exception not the rule.

don't forget, I did listen to your recording, and I gave you feedback on it.

Cyan that sounds like a good set of tips.I almost listen to everything that posted I have cable so it only takes a minute for each song but I wont if I have to regerister or type in the user name and password deal I find myself having to click back 10 times because i forget what they said to put in.

Some of those tips are personal to CJ but I think generally they make a good point. I think it's especially important to listen to other's music, and not be afraid to criticize. Constructive criticism is much more important here than unconditional support and essential to making this all worthwhile.

I agree about live recordings. In the same vein, I don't like to listen to stuff introduced by comments like, "I just sort of threw this together and it kind of sucks and needs a lot of work and the song is only half finished anyway, but please listen and tell me how to write the song, play it well, mix it and what equipment I might need."

LI Slim said:
In the same vein, I don't like to listen to stuff introduced by comments like, "I just sort of threw this together and it kind of sucks and needs a lot of work and the song is only half finished anyway, but please listen and tell me how to write the song, play it well, mix it and what equipment I might need."

Those types of comments are simply defense mechanisms. Therefore if you criticize someone, then they can say "well I did mention it wasn't perfect in the first place and I KNOW I can fix it and make it a lot better".

I've only posted once and I basically said "here it is - any comments/suggestions are welcome". Perhaps commentary s/b disallowed when posting a tune. Simply title it "New Tune" and put the link in (and song name if there are more than one).

I agree with most of what Cy... listed, however not #4. I'll listen to a lot of stuff. Yeah, there is a certain "inner buddy group" here apparantly, which is fine, but there are also a lot of people like myself who have, say, >200 general posts (not necessarily tunes!) and appreciate comments from the more "knowledgeable" members to help improve - we aren't "fly-by-night" visitors.

Also, everyone should keep this in mind when they are the recipient of "negative" feedback. I've listened to posts which I thought were terrible, but some of the more established "ears" thought were great. And vice versa.

Final note - I would say that for every four tunes I attempt to listen to, I actually only listen to one. This is usually due to link problems, sites requiring registration, long download times, etc. And I have DSL. As a general rule, I won't try again if I run into problems - but I will generally inform the person that I experienced problems so they can take appropriate action.

I feel like I need to say sorry to everyone that tried to listen to one of my songs. I put a mix together and wanted to post it on the net any which way and went with javamusic. I didnt know that when a person wanted to listen to the song they had to sign up. I apologize for this and learned from a mistake. Im looking for different hosting ways, I am signed up with mp3.com but Im not a premium member and have to wait at least 10 days to post a song.

sondriven

Sondriven,

Your story is an exact mirror of mine. Until I learn of a new site (IUMA?), then I'm going to put up with the MP3.com wait.

I never could find out how to register with MP3.com in the free program. They seem to have everything geared towards the premium service. Before I knew it I think I was getting ready to pay for the service :) Whats up with that?

Again, this mirrors my experience - but somehow I ended up registered as "non-premium". Keep trying and it should work - otherwise, send them an e-mail. There's no doubt they try to push you into the Premium reg.

as far as file hosting sites go,

nowhereradio.com has been by far the most friendly.

You can register now and have your song ready to be downloaded in twenty minutes. Its that fast.

There are also no hassles. Very straight forward.

I agree Cyan..Nowhereradio is fairly toublefree and I am with them also ,but ultimately I would like to have my stuff posted on Mp3.com and as many others as possible come promotion time :)

psmith66,

Did you just continue on with the registration even when it kinda took you to the premium service agreement spill? I believed I stopped there and emailed and ask them how to go about joining the free service and not to my surprise ..no response..
anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, I think I just chugged through and did my best to ignore anything related to the Premium package. The main thing to look out for is if they ask you for payment info. I didn't give them my credit card number or my SIN. Keep trying and you should break through.

elbenj,

I registered a few months ago and didnt really have any problems avoiding the premium service.Maybe it has changed since then.

sondriven

check out IUMA.
free, they let you post songs at any bit rate you want, including variable bit rates, and you can link directly to your files. on the minus side, things that are posted take an unspecified amount of time to be posted, and their interface for uploading files has no progress bar to tell you whether your upload is working or f*cked, and how long you have left.

Hey charger,

How do you link to your files on IUMA? I want to do this but I can't find anything about it on the IUMA site.

Thanks,
Brad

Once you get your files up there, find the link for the song that says "download this song" or something like that. right-click on it and select "copy link location" or "copy shortcut" or whatever it says. Then just paste this link into your post, it should work. I haven't tested it, but I think that would be right.

and by the way, love the boston icon.

Thanks charger, I'll give that a try.

Hmmm, you like the icon? Have you been down to the cave lately?

Back