Soft Rock

Minism

Hey guys,

One more track, kind of soft rock this time :) inspired by hendrix, but turned out as something completely different than I thought it would turn out to be.

I think I recorded some great tracks here, but did not know how to approach certain things:
1) the part where drums kick in - I tried to use quite some compression on the master track to compress the drums only and thus enable to turn up the part of the song before it (or it will be too quiet). However, for some the song sounds quieter with drums... Or is it just me? Any ideas? :/

2) the very beginning - I was going for something like intro to wish you were here, but this still lacks something. Any plugins to emulate crackle of playing vinyl?

Huge thanks for comments as always!
https://soundcloud.com/mminism/letter

AFA plugs, I use Reason, so my input would be useless.
Guitar on the right sounds out of tune. Is that intentional?
The bass is buried. I can hear it, but that's it. It's not balanced to the guitars.
Cymbals cut out way too quick at the end. Let it ring a bit. Some of the cymbal hits sounded way off timing.

I like the feel of the song. The instruments all seem to be recorded well. Good sounds. The cymbals are CRISP.

Hm, one of the guitar on left was supposed to sound out of tune (emulated tape effects). There three guitars on the right (rhythm, lead for solo + ambient one with volume swells and phaser), which one it out of tune? The ambient ones are a bit random, but I think that fits well here.

I wanted little bass on this song to leave more space for guitars, but you are probably right, there should be more of it, especially during when drums kick in. I want only the guitar solo to sound (semi?) powerful in this song. Will take a look at the drums as well.

Hi hat during the solo always seemed to be off timing all the time whatever way I did it. Change/remove the part completely?

The song was recorded without a metronome, so drum sequencing is hell... As is mixing without speakers :D just moved to other country, my options are a bit limited for a while.

The introduction was difficult to hear and didn't add much, IMO. If I understand you, you compressed the entire song in hopes of making that intro bit more audible. There must be a better way. Can't you just put the parts of the intro on their own tracks, separate from the tracks you use for the parts of the main song? Then balance the volume faders? Or even master the intro and the rest of the song separately, then splice the two together?

Not really, I compressed the drums to make the volume of the rest of the song to match the part when they kick in. I will take a look at the volume of intro again (although it seemed fine...). I was not sure about the intro effect-wise.

I like the style you have going here. I do like the intro but have to agree that the out of tune guitar sounds a little distracting, but hey if its your style, keep it. I think the vocals are nice and clear. May be a little hot though and there are a few issues with the Sssssss's. Cool song

the ess-ing takes off once the drums come in. the quiet vocals sound really great - really, really good. i'm guessing the pink floyd intro didn't come off as well partly due to the lack of stereo spread on that track. it's hard to sound big and spacey using just the R side. but hey, i'm one of the least experienced here. i think the vocals could come down maybe 0.5 dbs. i love that bell-ride, sounds really cool

Why didn't you just put the compression on a send for all the drums to go to? Wouldn't putting a compressor on the Master Bus compress the whole track? Also, using compression to bring the volume up will just compress the dynamics - I don't know if people do that but I'd just bring the volume down of the other tracks to match the drums as you're mixing. I use compression to bring the dynamics closer together in order to make it all seem more relative, not for volume control. I'm still learning too so I'd like to hear what other people have to say on the issue. People here have monitors, we can turn them up. Don't worry about the levels right now, just keep the levels low so you have some headroom.

I can hear the drums are quite compressed, they don't have a lot of body and there are a few timing issues. The guitar does sound a bit out, I'd take the tape emulation off.

I like the idea of the song, it's got a cool 60's psychedelic feel, and I like the vocals but they could come down slightly.

I listened to 'Maybe I'm Obsessed' and I really liked it. :)

If you get a minute check out my track here - https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...linic/give-me-my-remedy-new-rock-song-383030/

The guitars sounded OK to me. And I did get a Wish You Were Here feel in the intro.

The vocal was way over processed. A simple double tracked vocal without all the delay/widening/whatever stuff would have been just fine. There was a short section where you took that stuff and it sounded better. However in that section, the gutiars are kind of loud and taking attention away from the vocal.

The bass is boomy. There is a low frequency somewhere that's out of control. Like in the the 80hz range.

I have to disagree on some of the things here.

There is very little effects on the vocals (a bit of compression and eq I guess). There is just two different takes going on at the same moment (taken with condenser and dynamic mics). I've tried this accidentally and I really liked the sound. Without it the vocals sound rather boring.

The section where the vocals sound different is more of a guitar solo and vocals are of second importance. And they are well audible anyway. Keeping two vocal mics at this section is too much (+ a change is needed).

I agree about the bass, will look into this.

Back