"A Soft Place To Fall"

I am a tremendous fan of a young lady by the name of Deborah Coleman (a contemporary blues guitarist) and I did this cover of one of her songs called "A Soft Place To Fall". this song had those really classic guitar changes that actually sounded more like "Chrissie Hynde" than a blues tune. i loved it. I really am not trying to make a shameless plug of my music here but I'm trying to fix something in this mix that happens a lot in my music and I can't seem to hear it until I finish the mix and come back to it days later. Give us a listen. Seems almost every project I do, days later the bass and the drums seem to get buried in the mix. Mind you for me it doesn't sound like that during the mixing process but almost always when I return back to the finished mix this seems to happen. Could it be ear fatigue? Listen at the tune and give me your impression of the mix. It doesn't seem to have the same energy or drive that it had when I finished it originally. Am I going crazy or what? : ) Here's the link:

www.soundclick.com/bands/2/musicallymrmmusic.htm - Click on the link for "A Soft Place To Fall"

Nice vibe on this one, are the guitars panned the same distance apart? There's a bit of hiss throughout the track. Nice guitar playing, I'd say the mix is pretty good, hard to tell because it's really missing the vocal line. If the vocal came in nice and clear it would probably be fine.

Sounds good - quite smooth, and 70's. As lynx said, a bit of hiss here.

The guitar playing is pretty good... reminds me of larry carlton, and some steely dan stuff (which i love) ... possibly a little too ambitious on some of the solos though? They didn't seem quite tight enough yet... pulled the beat in spots a little, and came across slightly plinky at spots. A few more takes might fix that, though - definitely huge potential w/ the solos!

Hi Mr. MusicM,

You have a nice voice, great for this genre. I have to say I don't like the vocal effect, what is that anyways? It's like it was sung in a bathroom or something. I must say though, the tune is much more full with the vocal. Not sure if you want to try another effect.

Back