slightly less crappy version of demo track "Falling"

please take a listen. i retracked the crappy sounding guitars myself. i double tracked using a Peavy (c)raptor guitar, behringer GDI21 amp modeling pedal, Peavy practice amp, SM57 into reaper. also 2 tracks of DI thri amplitube 3. bass is DI thru apmlitube 3 also. MUUUCH better guitar sound than the original, but still kinda meh, i think.

let me know what you think.

i quite like the quiet bit (im guessing its the verse?) the vox arent great but if they are rough or whatever then thats cool. before i give my opinions and constructive criticisms, what i say isnt necesarily "correct" its just one opinion. and i dont mean to offend.

aside from the vocals i like it - musically. would like to hear it when vox are retracked. reminds me of old 90's rock, like underground stuff. the more i listen, the more i like it.

think the drum performance is sloppy in certain places. your snare drum is the highest thing in the mix. i think it would still be audible around 3-4dB lower. think everything would sit a bit better that way. bass could go down a notch (not much) and hard L and Right guitars could come up a little. kick drum could go up a tiny bit. snare is a bit card-board-boxy like it was tracked inside one....maybe a low mid cut would rectify that.

ever tried parallel compression on drums? that could help. there are parts where the drums seem choked a little, or flattened.

shame you only really catch the tone of the guitars now and then in the quiet bits. but they sound a bit flat (dynamically). i really like how they fade out into the verse. they sound a bit "brittle" though.

overall i like it :) which is more than i can say for some tracks around here. i really like the musical side of it :) i can picture it with the correct vocal track. i like the delay on the verse guitar too :)

good work, let me know when theres an updated version. also, has your band got other tracks? would like to hear more :)

you can hear my band at The Early Days by wearecrave on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

yessir! yr band's stuff sounds excellent! you have to give me the details of how you recorded the guitars.

btw, i'm not actually in the band- i'm a crappy guitar player, but good enough to replace the even crappier guitars that WERE in that song... i'm just recording a few demo tracks for this band (the light of drowning) for free so i can get some practice recording! i DO know about paralell comp, i'll try that out. also will try the other things you suggested.

thanks for your feedback it's a big help!

-mark

I like the tune, it's got good dynamics and nice progressions. The vocalist has good tone but he's pitchy and misses the bits he shouldn't miss when the guitar melody changes. He needs to practice the vocal melody, then you probably need to do a few takes and comp the best bits together

vocals definitely weakest in my opinion. I know they are just for demo, but the final processing should be a little lower, maybe some delay to get a little space so they aren't so dry.

Guitars are kinda undefined. I can hear they are there, but can't pick them out too well.

Parallel compression is not needed 99% of the time. Some people love it, others find no need for it. I'd say it's an advanced technique (as in one you should tackle once the basics are down). Learn drum compression the normal way first. That'll help them be snappier and sit better in a mix.

you have to give me the details of how you recorded the guitars.

Marshall AVT Tribute 100 guitar amp, seymour duncan gain pickups/EMG pickups. sE Electronics z5600 mk1 mic and t.bone MB85 (sm58 rip off) as ambient.

the sound is really the amp (which many critics slate this particular series of marshall amps for some reason, pay no attention)
it sounds so sweet.

ps, all tracks of that album were recorded in my bedroom

I like the tune, it's got good dynamics and nice progressions. The vocalist has good tone but he's pitchy and misses the bits he shouldn't miss when the guitar melody changes. He needs to practice the vocal melody, then you probably need to do a few takes and comp the best bits together

agreed. thanks for replying!

vocals definitely weakest in my opinion. I know they are just for demo, but the final processing should be a little lower, maybe some delay to get a little space so they aren't so dry.

it has *some* delay, but maybe not the right kind? funny, i can hear it so clearly on some speakers, and not at all on others...

Guitars are kinda undefined. I can hear they are there, but can't pick them out too well.

is that because of the tone, the playing, or both you think? i'm thinking both....grrr.

Parallel compression is not needed 99% of the time.

i always think of it as it's own effect--if it's appropriate for the song, then use it, if not, don't. it might work on this--i'll give it a go and see!

thanks for your comments--m

Back