Second track for upcoming EP

stivens1991

Hi guys,

I'm working on sencond track for the new EP of my band. For now it's instrumental, my buddy is working on vocals right now.

What do you think about the mix? Any bad freqs? Any issues?

Thank you for your opinion!

https://soundcloud.com/s_t_i/fooking-brutal-2/s-1x1S0

I used:

Hardware:
- Ibanez GIO – GRG121EX
- Lexicon Alpha
- Sennheiser HD201

Software:
- Cubase 5
- EZDrummer 2 (Progressive EZX2)
- Spectrasonic Trillian

And many many other VST plugins...

When I saw your username, I remembered a thrash metal tune, I thought. And yup, I was right. Good stuff here. Listening on headphones, and would need to listen in the car for a better opinion, but so far so good. The only issue might be fitting vocals into an already tight mix. While this is sounding good on its own, adding the vox later might pose a problem. If I were you, I'd stop right there and wait until vocals come in until I proceed any further. That midrange is pretty full as it is, right now. Good stuff

Thank you very much for this opinion! About the vocals - yeah, thats also my concern, because I'm not experienced with mixing extreme metal vocals yet, so It can be a challange.

+1 on what andru said. Your mid range is gonna get busy with vocals.

The other thing that stuck out to me is that your bass frequencies seem to drop out on higher notes.
In the riff that starts at 0:23: you have that 1-1 7-octave pattern (I think I'm hearing that right?). There's a lot of rumble on the 1s that just disappears when you jump up.

(listening on headphones)

I don't listen to this style of music, mostly because I can't stand the vocal style that most singers use. But, without vocals it sounds GREAT.

I have to ask: How many guitars tracks is this? Did you double, triple any? This style's guitars always sound huge.

I was friends with a successful metal artist, and while I only heard 2 huge guitar tracks, he told me each track was done about 20 times. That's what gave it that huge sound. Of course this was about 30 years ago.

Really good song!

Back