Screw Juston and Freedrive?

Just signed up and tested it. That makes 190MB of storage between these three services.
And that automatic expiration is sort of a blessing in disguise.

Hmm. That's quite a catch though. Seeing as how you can sign up for as many Juston and Freedrive accounts as you want (what, me honest?), it would only be really usefull if you had a file that was over 50MB. That could be kind of cool though. We could actually post waves without worrying about space when working on projects with people on the net. Of course you'll have to download while you're sleeping :)

One thing I haven't tried with Juston is to link to pictures from HTML. I might sign up with Earthlink (free USB video camera when you sign up for 3 months @ $20/month) but they only allow 6MB space for websites. If I could store all of my images on Juston I'd be set. Freedrive of course wouldn't work for this.

Slackmaster 2000

You can link anything you want with JustOn.
Just do their "publish to Web" thing and make a note of the address. Then paste it into your regular web page. They even encourage this!

My test was with a small file.
When retested with a music sized file:
Click2Send blows dead monkeys.
I gave these clowns the acid test by uploading a 79247KB file to their space. I tried this twice (39 minutes each time;
my calculation based on typical upload speeds I've achieved was 37 minutes)
and there was no file there when I was done.
They stopped the file transfer and gave me some security window twice and then it was like I'd never done the upload at all.
I guess this was too good to believe.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 11-20-1999).]

That's what happens when I try to upload on Juston... It looks like MP3.com is still the best deal... The only thing that sucks about it is the 2 or 3 day wait while they approve your song...

S8-N

I figured out what the problem was. They have a limit of 50MB on individual file uploads even though they offer 120MB total storage.
I tested a 49423KB file up and back. The upload took 25 minutes. Download took 5.
Any volunteers to try this on a 56K modem line to test click2send's 'longer term' stability?
This is 4:45 of uncompressed stereo 16 bit 44.1KHZ .wav file. Two of these would represent a really nice 4-track direct out.
Or 8 tracks of 2:22 in four files.

Another problem with Juston is that you have to be a member to access any files located there. I just received an E-mail from them saying that they are re-coding the page because they were having incompatibility problems with IE 5. I just switched back to Netscape (IE 5 users, beware the ominous microsoft "Virtual Machine" download popup!!) and up to now have been unable to get anybody's files from Juston.

Obviously, we need a place where we can easily and reliably share our files. I am checking out Internettrash, MediaDepot, and E-suburbs right now. It would be nice if someone could find a place to set up an online community for members of this bbs to share stuff. Too bad we can't do that here.

S8-N, I included your problem to Juston in an E-mail and they assured me that the new page coding will fix all. Do you even care anymore? If so, try them again. They said they'd have it updated by the beginning of next week. Felchers...

Another problem with Juston is that you have to be a member to access any files located there. I just received an E-mail from them saying that they are re-coding the page because they were having incompatibility problems with IE 5. I just switched back to Netscape (IE 5 users, beware the ominous microsoft "Virtual Machine" download popup!!) and up to now have been unable to get anybody's files from Juston.

Obviously, we need a place where we can easily and reliably share our files. I am checking out Internettrash, MediaDepot, and E-suburbs right now. It would be nice if someone could find a place to set up an online community for members of this bbs to share stuff. Too bad we can't do that here.

S8-N, I included your problem to Juston in an E-mail and they assured me that the new page coding will fix all. Do you even care anymore? If so, try them again. They said they'd have it updated by the beginning of next week. Felchers...

Crazy,

I don't think that you need to be a member of Juston to access files IF the files have been "published" to the web. You can either choose to share files just like you do on Freedrive, OR you can make a file public to the world. This is what makes Juston so good.....hopefully they'll be able to sort the bugs out so that we can all use it effectivly. I'm using IE4 and have had no problems with it.

Slackmaster 2000

I agree, if you publish it's public. I've noticed that when you go to download it takes awhile to *open* or recognize the file maybe 1 to 2 minuets then DL begins, at least with my DSL connection.

Man, I've had som much run-around, I'm tripping. It's Freedrive who requires you to be a member to access any files. My bad. I finally got on but I had to switch browsers to do it. IE 5 blows the world.

Yeah- JustOn has a much cooler interface. You just upload a file and then "Publish it To Web" which creates a URL that someone else can type in or paste into a web page for distribution from their site or have e-mail recipients just click on in a message. If you need more specific distribution this is also handled at JustOn with password protected folders.

Example of unprotected access:
April99_Sample.rm
4:48 mono RealAudio G2 format
1154 KB
http://www.juston.com/public/drstawl/April99_Sample.rm

You'll need RealPlayerG2 or a compatible player to hear this file.

Back