Run Run Rudolph - getting back in the practice...

dkerwood

Getting ready to start working on my EP over Christmas break, but wanted to get back into the practice of recording and mixing, so I decided to throw together a few Christmas tracks on a snowy weekend. Here's the first tune, "Run Run Rudolph." Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know how to embed the Soundcloud player...

EDIT: Got it figured out...

Last edited:
my favorite christmas tune! nice work! chuck berry, i believe. great tune. i like his (un)intentional, brief stutter in the final verse on some "s" word, can't remember what it is. what a great performance the original was.

great recreation. some timing issue on the blasts. drums seem a tad back to me, but nothing too bad. good tune and mix

---------- Update ----------

my favorite christmas tune! nice work! chuck berry, i believe. great tune. i like his (un)intentional, brief stutter in the final verse on some "s" word, can't remember what it is. what a great performance the original was.

great recreation. some timing issue on the blasts. drums seem a tad back to me, but nothing too bad. good tune and mix

edit: it's on "saber", the final verse i think.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. All recorded in one afternoon, so I didn't sweat the really small stuff. If I did it over again, I'd probably bump the tempo up another 10 bpm. It still grooves at 140, but the "Johnny B Goode" intro feels a little cumbersome. The only real issue I'm having is getting the lead guitar and vocal to sit "properly" with the other elements. Sounds great through my studio monitors and headphones, but then they both end up being a little hot on laptop/phone speakers (haven't tried it in my car yet, but usually the car is pretty forgiving).

So yeah, still working out the quirks of getting my mic EQ'd right with my voice, figuring out other elements like reverb, compression, etc, and getting it all to work right. Getting ready to post #2 of my snowy day Christmas project, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree."

I didn't notice it until I was pretty deep in the process (lead guitar was the last thing I recorded, not counting rerecording the acoustic guitar, which I recorded first then redid at the end as I often do). By then, it was too late to adjust tempo without starting from scratch.

Love it!
What a fun song. Agree on the speed, and bringing the drums up. Kick is pretty lost. Great singing btw, along with some nice leads!

Back