Rough Recording - Please Listen *explained below*

Mish

I wouldn't even submit my recording unless I'd be 100% comfortable with the quality myself, but I have abit of a situation here.

My new singer (whom I took aboard just 2-3 weeks ago after kicked out my old one from a band) had toured with her previous band quite intensively, and she remained on good terms with her old label.

So, they told us that we have until next month to give them a 4-track demo CD and if they like it enough, they'll put us on the national tour for the summer (because they know her and hard worked with her before, so it's really up to our music).

Now, I understand that it's just a demo disk and they wouldn't in particulary care about the quality, however I just want to get your opinion if you were in that position.

Here's an instrumental of one of my tracks from months ago - recorded straight into Roland BR600, didn't have a bass, used build-in drum-machine, and back then I didn't have a pre-amp or EQ (guitar obviously DI-ed). I "mixed" it abit in cubase - but it had been my first week of working in it, and I only had my Logitech 2.1 speakers as "monitors" .

We'll be recording our demo EP in a small studio that some guys lend us for a couple of days as a favour, but as a consequence we have to record everything ourselves. It's gonna sound better than this track, but I really don't have enough skill and experience yet to make it *that* better.

My question is - is that quality okay-ish enough for a demo, or I'd rather sell my kidney and hire a proper studio and an engineer for a week?

http://www.mediafire.com/?taydjt9b3jt

PS.: Greg, you might want to turn your monitors down alil bit!

Hmmm try again getting rid of that flooding hiss-guitar. I would also listen to drums... sometimes!
It's just a matter of balance and eq rather than rec quality, I suppose.

I'd split the diff & hire an engineer that knows the studio you're using, (at least for a few days so he can set things up & you can map the gear, set up & operating system). If you're running around in an unfamiliar studio trying to be all things to all people you'll end up wasting most of your time.
They company will want to hear songs & musicianship & how well you're using the common element (vocalist).
So go in &
a) record a live take of all the songs you've worked out with the girl;
b) listen to them and decide on & prioritise those which work best with her;
c) record the ones that work
&
d) tweak these with the remaining time.
the old demo isn't of any use given the constraints you've outlined & the fact that it doesn't include your ace.

This is not good bud. I certainly wouldn't be handing this over to any record company people. It's just a crappy sounding guitar and a drum machine. How does that showcase your band? You'd be better off just hanging one mic in a room and recording a few songs live.

Back