Rock? (slightly experimental)

Minism

Hey :)

Please check out my new track that came from a quite spontaneous recording session with my two good friends :) I think it turned out pretty well.

Critique is very welcome as always. I had a hard time taming the bass guitar, is it alright?

https://soundcloud.com/mminism/maybe-im-obsessed

EDIT: Just noticed it sounds very weak (at least until guitar solo) through laptop speakers. Should I bump mids in this part? What mids could that be? I always struggle making it sound good on laptop...

Last edited:
Are the drums sequenced? All the snare hits sound the same.

It is a pretty sparse mix, so I'm not surprised it sounds a little thin, especially on laptop speakers. It's never going to sound great on laptop speakers.

Drums are sequenced. I was not going for live drum sound anyway. Something like Portishead drums for verses/choruses and fleetwood mac drums for the last bit. What is needed to replicate that sound better? I don't think they are the number 1 instument to listen to over here.

Will try to edit the mix to make it thicker. I believe it's the verses that are dragging it down, other parts have a normal amount of tracks I suppose.

This is really good, man. Reminds me of [a more fun version of] Can. Do you listen to that band? Great lyrics. Don't mess with it. It's perfect sparse like this.
Now following you on Soundcloud -- make more!

Thanks a lot! That band sounds great, will listen more for sure ;)

Just updated the version, not really sparser, but the levels were adjusted and I think you can hear everything better.

However, the keys still sound weak on laptop speakers. Why? The mids seem to be quite strong here.

My only nit is with the snare as well. Some velocity variations would have added to the song. Other than that, it sounded like what it was intended to sound like. The song didn't feel like it was supposed to be fat, therefore sounded just fine.

Minism, listened to all your tracks. All great stuff. I actually look forward to more releases. Funny I was commenting that some guitar work reminded me of VU, then I scroll down and hear the Wild Side cover...it sounds like you minor or sub one of the chords for the cover? What is the strange chord?

Thanks a lot! I seriously don't remember/have no idea what I was playing on there. A few people told me it sounds wrong, but not for me unfortunately :))

I love quite some VU songs, but I think Hendrix was my biggest influence.

Back