"Reincarnation"...

Mah Daddy sez...

1. Do what works

and

2. Don't fix it iffn it ain't broke...

Who's the guy that said "If it sounds good, it IS good..."?

Well, what he said, too.

:D :cool: :cool:

Mah Daddy is Mr. Cool.

Worked his way through Harvard selling dry cleaning contracts and suits to the ivy league crowd,

had a route up and down the east cost peddling dried ham, cheese and maple candies,

sold insurance,

collected muzzle loaders,

served in the Navy, was Executive Officer on the LSM 213 transport, got hit by a Kamikaze in the middle of the Pacific theatre and still made it to port without any working guns, a third of the crew and two thirds of the ship,

started a machine shop on a bet and no money and soon had 59 men working, bought his competitor's cast off equipment from the scrap yard at pig iron pricing and then used it to do subcontract work they couldn't figure out how to do with their new fancy machines, received a Presidential commendation for hiring the disabled (including the country's first blind turret lathe operator), used the machine shop and a thousand bucks to buy a ski area,

was holding the water hose when snowmaking was invented by his partner,

rehabbed dead commercial buildings and filled 'em with new businesses,

served in the Senate,

and generally had a hell of a lot of fun.

I may have had an interesting childhood, but the one thing I learned that lots of others don't seem to get is that you can do just about anything if you want it bad enough. Nothing is impossible.

At least, that's what mah Daddy sez...:D :D

lotsa class. Got upstate Ne Yawk all over it . I enjoyed it man. This was a first for me on your stuff, I listened to the other tune as well, lookin forward to more.

I really like the song. Mixed and performed with your usual talant and seeming ease. But i've listened to it several times and don't really understand the meaning. I read along with the words on your site and I still don't totally understand. I don't believe in reincarnation, but still that's not what I mean. I often like songs without agreeing with them completely. But still, you are a great song writer and performer, and I enjoy your work. :)

Toki, Artist formerly known as Langley;) : thanks very much, your opinions matter a lot to me.

I am indeed concerned that the lyrics are too obtuse. I do want people to understand it in one or two listens. I asked myself, what if there is such a thing as reincarnation (I don't believe in it myself), and what if the individuals mentioned in the song were reincarnated and got what they deserved, and what if they knew what they had been in their past lives and were reacting to their new existences? That is the premise. I also want us to take a look at how much "right and wrong" can be a matter of perspective, and that we have more in common with those we hate than we want to admit. And of course I'm expressing my own worthless opinion about the hubris of those particular individuals.

Tree, sounds like Dad is an interesting guy. Are you saying he was a United States Senator?

You sound like a seasoned writer and player Slim (I'm a patchogue boy myself)--Nice chording-good playing---sounds like the acoustics are a bit compressed and boomy-not bad to listen to-I just imagine a little better sound might have been possible...I think the melody of the verse is more catchy than the chorus--maybe it has something to do with the flow of the words-using names and such...Tune flows along nicely-nice use of sparse instrumentation....enjoyed it.

The more I listen to this song the more I really, really like it. In fact, I think I pondered on it so much that it's stuck in my head, and I woke up this morning singing it. :) Thank you so much, Slim, for a great song and for taking the time to share the meaning. Actually, I wasn't so far off track, but for some reason it just seemed to need some clarification for me. I believe that your saying we have more in common with those we hate than we would like to admit is absolutely true.

Thanks for your comments, Strat, Terriel!

Ya' know, Strat, in response to a prior suggestion I added compression to the bass and I think maybe that was not a good idea. I also added a limiter to bring up the overall volume a bit but maybe I overdid it. Thanks again.

I'm back-logged, sorry for the delay.

Yeah, a tad over-compressed on the acoustics. The compressor is breathing too much, and the guitars not enough :D. The acoustics also sound a little boomy in spots... maybe a slight low-cut (double check me here, I'm not sure I'd trust my monitoring system).

I think you can tame the dynamics a bit better with the performance instead of gear or plug-ins. With a close mic situation while recording, you don't really have to exaggerate the dynamics as much as you might be used to in a live situation.

Hay Slim, sorry I hijacked your thread for a minute, there. It's just that when I get talking about the guy, there are too many good stories to stop any time soon. He was a state senator, not US.

I, too, find myself musing on the meaning of your lyrics and agree that we have more in common with those we profess to hate than any of us really want to admit. I made myself really unpopular in law school with an essay in the paper comparing "us" with Ted Bundy. It appeared a day or two prior to his 1989 execution and the crowds were chanting outside the prison, waving frying pans. It was a bewildering moment because the more they chanted, the closer they got to where he had spent all his time. I suggested that the difference between "him" and "us" - apparently a galaxy apart - was perhaps really too close to measure. The tweedydartmouthvolvowagon crowd had a problem with that.

You know you're really onto something when the responses on a mixing clinic focus more on the meaning of the poetry found in the tune... Nice work!

Back