Recent project, feedback wanted!

soundvile

Alright I'm new, just to put that out there (first post). I'm going to go ahead and link you to something recent I worked on, a metal piece done by a few kids I know.

It's called "bewilderment of smoke" and is located here: soundvile myspace

apologies if the page has any problems, I just made it. You can also check out the "demo montage 1" file posted on the flash player just below the song I want some feedback on. It's all little clips of older stuff.

My mixer is currently being repaired (it also acts as a decent soundcard my software and monitoring works thru) ---so I have not completed all the final ajustments I want in there, and there ARE some important ones, e.g. making thebass drum sound less harsh (well it is death metal stuff, so basicaly just sonically better in the mix.) and getting some of the uneeded boosts and appropriate cuts ajusted in there so it's not quite as "squashed" as it is, which I don't think is that bad right now, however I appreciate dynamics, even in this "wall of sound" kind of music - which you can kinda tell in that old demo reel in the first clip (all of that is me playing the instruments, or singing -just once thank god-). there is other stuff, but whatever.

oh, and by the way, I know a lot of metal guys out there use triggers or whatever else gear to get a certain sound, but I don't and am proud of how it sounds without that ...stuff... I might appreciate it for some project eventually but yeah. Another special note is that a lot of people I record are ages 15-18 like these guys and I aim to make them sound much older in terms of quality.

[edit] also, what you hear is mostly the drumkit I own in my studio miked with mostly audix d series and adx 51s for the overheads. It's really a simple setup/path, granted its a 10 peice with cymbals fricken everywhere. the technique is simple, not so much the positioning of mics and whatnot. all the other gear is theirs with the exception of the vox tonelab se on guitar and bass pod live for the clean section in the middle. oh and I used my bass cab, swr goliath sr 6x10 w/ horn..

--in the middle of the song there is a cool retro-ish calm area that I really REALLY enjoyed working with, for you non-metal guys.

So I'd appreciate you guys' feedback on anything you feel would help me become better at this. apologies for being long winded. just don't wanna be like "herez mah shit flame me"... I have some dignity reserved for this stuff heh.

edit 2 - damn if you get the routine maintainance thing try reloading the page or re opening the link entirely, sry.

[r]

Last edited:
im not too familiar with this genre of music so ill just say what i hear :)
The guitars sound good, meaty while defined. The delayed guitar in the breakdown seems a tad too bright. Im not a fan of the kick drum sound (but it is typical of the genre).
Overall i think it sounds really good (didnt have chance to listen to the sampler sorry :) )

Thanks... yeah I think I'll end up following that note about the too bright clean part, I probably have something boosted a little too far there. I really want to fix that kick drum sound to fit the rest of the music better, hah.

Anyone else? Bueller?

Buelle[r]?

Guitars rip. Great metal sound. Reminds me a bit of Corrosion of Conformity.

Not too keen on the this type of vocal styling, but I know its popular in the genre.

The break about halfway through is interesting, and sounds great, but seems a bit out of place. But I do stuff like that all the time myself. ;)

Real nice sound for the genre.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks mahon. The vocal style here is nothing I particularly look up to, either, but you mix what you get I suppose. I'm preparing to record a female vocalist fairly soon here, I'll be sure to post that when it's done/close.

Sounds good. Needs to be just a hair tighter, its very close but would benefit from being really "nailed". The vocals are not for me :D

Back