IS this radio-ready?

I tracked the drums with some musicians on the below mix in N-track studio and we're going to submit this song to a local radio station taking submissions in a few days for local talent airplay so any comments about anything that sounds goofy would be appreciated. Anyone with knowledge of what their added aural exciters and compression would do to this mix would help or should we just send it in "as is" and cross our fingers?

I just tested the download of the file and my "premium" paid web host *may* be slow to download off of depending where you are. I called them about this already and they are supposed rectifying the issue as I'm typing this so hopefully it won't be an issue by the time you download this but lemme know if it's slow to download on your end.

Anyway, here's the link and good luck:

This link worked ok. Nice tune. Its a bit thin sounding, like the guitars and vocals seemed very compresssed and it robs some dynamics. I don`t hear the bass much and the kick is a little too subdued for me. The snare is ok but could be a touch louder, the hats are a little strong. I think you could use an eq on the stereo mix and bring out a touch some more low end and mids without jeapordizing the mix if you do it gently. Especially since your gonna put it on the air shortly.

The link worked fine for me too, and the download time was reasonable (about 45 seconds) through my DSL.

I'm with Toki, I think the low end and mids need to be turned up and the cymbals down a bit. Everything feels too pushed into the middle of the stereo image, especially during the chorus. The guitar in the verse is good. Did you add chorus or record two tracks?

The vocal lacks vibrance. The melody seems a bit droning and monotonous to me, but even more importantly the vocals lack presence (even though they have plenty of volume).

Hope that helps, Peter

Listening -

Lead at start feels very "synthetic" -

Vox could come up a bit...

When it gets heavy, the stereo image collapses almost comlpletely.

Timing probs around 2:45... Not a "show-stopper" but close...

A little "air" - A little "space" - Maybe even a touch more verb (?) here and there...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Thank you ALL for taking the time to listen and giving some good constructive comments about some things I didn't even notice. I took all of them to heart and I've already tried to "fix" the mix to address what's been said here but everything kinda fell apart in the process, so I'll have to start fresh.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that extremity but I've gotta do what I've gotta do and y'all are right. Because of the two extreme dynamic ranges of the multiple vocal tracks and guitar parts, I'll have to remix, consolidate and mix it all down again and basically start from the ground up as some of the problems mentioned did need to be resolved earlier in the mixdown process especially the stereo image with the guitars and vocal "presence". Back to the editor for me. Hopefully, I'll get something back up here soon as a follow-up that is more to your liking. Thanks again for your time and comments. I really want this song to breathe.

fritzmusic said:
Thank you ALL for taking the time to listen and giving some good constructive comments about some things I didn't even notice. I took all of them to heart and I've already tried to "fix" the mix to address what's been said here but everything kinda fell apart in the process, so I'll have to start fresh.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that extremity but I've gotta do what I've gotta do and y'all are right. Because of the two extreme dynamic ranges of the multiple vocal tracks and guitar parts, I'll have to remix, consolidate and mix it all down again and basically start from the ground up as some of the problems mentioned did need to be resolved earlier in the mixdown process especially the stereo image with the guitars and vocal "presence". Back to the editor for me. Hopefully, I'll get something back up here soon as a follow-up that is more to your liking. Thanks again for your time and comments. I really want this song to breathe.

I think it will.... :)

This link worked.

Vocal seems quiet at the begining, and kinda "dry".

Everything disappears when the chorused guitar stops. The distorted guitar is fighting for space with the vocals.

Your cymbals sound really "squished"...there's no ring to any of them.

Good tune, and well played. There's just a "disconnect" between the beginning and the rest of the song that I noticed.

Ok. I'll bet this one isn't "the one" but I feel this is more in the same direction of all the suggestions I've quickly grown to respect while applying to the trax....so speak up if I'm starting to junk this mix up. I'll retrack the drums later today to fix that timing hesitation at seconds 2:50-2:53. Just wanted to know if I'm getting warmer or colder with this version.

New Version:

Back