Proud Papa!

TomD

Last Sunday my group got together to practice, and my youngest daughter asked me if we could do a song for her to sing along with sometime. We didn't know the song (not our normal style), but we tried it. She wanted us to record it, even though we didn't know it, so she could sing along with it in her car..(she is 20) She didn't care that it wasn't going to be perfect... and it wasn't.

I'd never heard her sing above a whisper before (very shy kid) - and I was blown away with what happened. She missed timing real bad a few places, and overdrove the mic once... Mistakes like crazy, and no real mixing done, but I'm busting with pride over this :)

Hope I link this right..

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1682&alid=-1

Holy Cow

You mean to tell me that that child grew up in your house, and you didn't know she could sing?

Man, I'm both happy for you, and sad at the same time...LOL. You really undersold it. I expected her to be screaching from the balcony...:D

I like the intro the best, but for having never done ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN HER LIFE, it was incredible.

(Little compression on those vocals would help a lot) ;)

Thanks for posting this,
Chris

From the first note I could tell this was gonna be good.Really nice...what a great gift for both of you.

Dude... She has a very nice voice. Especially if this is the first time she really "sang out". This is a gift that must be encouraged. I couple lessons to iron out the minor timing type issues (or maybe just some practice) and a little experience with mic technique you've got a winner there.
:)

Yeah, she sounds a little tentative, but the talent is there. She's got a real nice voice. She just needs the confidence that will only come with experience.

You're getting a great vocal sound, especially for a rough mix. Whats the vocal chain?

Twist

Thanks so much for the comments guys.

Yeah Chris:)

Actually, I knew she could, just never really got to hear her. She is really shy to sing in front of me or her mom. I have 2 older daughters who are terrific singers (imho) and they sing with me in the group (trio with their mom). Guess the younger was a little intimidated to try. Glad she finally did! I probably unsold it some. Was hoping for comments that I could print out and show her without too much coaxing on my part. Help her with confidence. She was scared to death singing that..

Thanks W.I.S.C. How cool is it to have 4 kids like this, and all of them sing like birds! Great kids all the way around.

Jagular, exactly. I could tell she 'really' wanted to do this. The next time she will be much more comfy I think, and the timing problems will work themselves out with some experience and practice. Going to start with sticking with this song until we get it right with her. Something she can show her friends and be proud of.. It didn't help her the way we stumbled through it.. lol

Twist, she was scared to death, almost shaking. But she did it, and feels good that she did.. I think she will become much more comfortable now that she broke the ice...

Vocal chain. What got us tracking that day, was Bob (the bass player) brought a friends At4033 mic for us to try out. We've been in the market, so he lent it to us to play with. From that into a Delta 66 Omnistudio, 24 bit 44.1 tracking into N-track.
I put a little hall reverb on Aux1, cause it seemed to suit the song. Thats about it.. Some mic huh? We spent about 30 minutes start to finish on this.

Dtb, already in the works :)

B.Sabbath, yes, I always use OBtune on vox tracks. Helps smooth out harmonies mostly, and Kris's voice shook on the first part a little, and OB helped with that. Honestly though, it did very little on this track, specially once she got started. You have a good ear to notice that! :)

Don't think I missed anyone. Your comments are VERY much appreciated guys!

Zeke, it's an At4033 Audio technica studio mic. Loved the sound we got from it. Thanks for giving it a listen! :)

Back