Are producers born or made?

recwall

If they're born...i'm in trouble - most of my stuff was recorded with Acid 2.0 until I discovered CEP and N-Track. I used to use a lot of loops because it was a novelty. I never mastered anything because I sucked at it. Now I have too much stuff to go back and master. I still might suck at it. I attached a track that is my first attempt with "taking my time with something". I'm used to brutal honesty. If you've ever put something up on garageband.com, you get used to taking criticism. I wan't to actually be able to produce as well as write some decent tunes. If you have suggestions, I'm all eyes and ears. The tune is the first one on my mp3.com page in case the attachment doesn't work.

Chris
http://mp3.com/wall

Pretty Lo-fi sounding. I first noticed it on the vocals-they seemed to be missing the high end-Same with the drums-the kick drum is hard to distinguish from the snare drum. Maybe it has something to do with the mp3. I liked your guitar tones. The song was good-maybe a bit long at over 5 min of basically a 2 chord-verse-to a pretty similar chorus--but I enjoyed it-I'm easy like that. Oh and I'd say producers are made not born.

Never heard of garageband.com before, but if this stuff gets heavy criticism, I wouldn't want to post my stuff there:D

Wish the vocal was louder with more high end. The mix gets blury once the distortion guitar comes in, can't really hear each instrument clearly...Besides these, I don't see any major issues...

AL

wow... thanks guys... do you think it's too compressed? I brought down the hi's to compensate for the fact that I know my ears are a bit fried, my hi's roll of pretty low. So much of my stuff was hi end loaded because of that. Should I bring em' way up? Maybe lighten up on the compression? Thanks again...

Ya garageband.com isn't what it used to be, but I've had so pretty harsh reviews from there as well as some great constructive feed back.

Back