Procol Harum's "Homburg" covered by Defibrillators

gecko zzed

Grumpy Mod
Just for the hell of it I thought I'd drop this one in here in case anyone is interested. Defibrillators is a trio of old musos; we get together to record covers of lesser-known hits and B-sides as a bit of recreational occupational therapy. And it gives me a chance to test out recording techniques.

Procol Harum are intimately linked with their biggest hit "Whiter shade of Pale", but they recorded some other very fine songs., and "Homburg" had always been my favourite.

The video loses a bit in Youtube format. I haven't worked out how to retain stereo in Youtube, and the synching of audio to video also seems to be a bit erratic. If anyone has any clues as to how I can manage this I would be deliriously grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhPC_F6DITo

Cool visuals. Cant say I know the original but I like the song a lot. Sounds Floydy. Is the "hey jude" melody in the lead line of the original? Good stuff.

Always a fav of mine too - I have the vid from Beat Club somewhere.
Robin Trower was highly under appreciated whilst in the band.
Your cover is really nice - I'd like to hear a better sound quality MP3 of your take but I'll settle for the HIQ of the vid & track for now as in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhPC_F6DITo&fmt=18
The higher qual version is def. worth the viewing/listening.
Good recording - terrific vid by the way.
What prog was it constructed on.
It's just about prof. enough to be broadcast on the idiot box.

Last edited:
Fantastic...........my fave PH song. I have their first album on vinyl plus a reissue of it as a double album coupled with A Salty Dog. They included Conquistador with the reissue but NOT Homburg..........................bastards :D

:cool:

so much to learn, so little time . . .

I went through my usual process of rendering a video as an AVI, then converting that to WMV for uploading to You Tube, which I did.

I viewed it after uploading and was appalled! The sound was mono and swishy, and the picture was poor. "What's going on here?" I thought. I deleted it off YT straight away while I considered my options.

This mono thing was bugging me, so I checked my other uploads . . . mono as well! But I'm sure they weren't before. Oh well. I did another conversion to WMV, but at higher quality, and replaced the stereo audio with a mono version to prevent YT-generated artefacts from stereo to mono rendering, and uploaded again.

And then I read Rayc's comments about different viewing options, and went back into YT to see what he was talking about. I'll swear on Robert Harvey's jumper that those options weren't there before!

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Ray . . . for interest, I use Vegas for video editing. I create and pre-render the morphs in SqirlzMorph before importing them into Vegas.

The video is a mixture of live footage (Matt on kit), mimed stuff (the rest of us), assorted morphs, some old 8mm family footage, and some old footage from YT.

Back