Please Please Please Critique My Newest Mix!!!!

pewterbird99

I write and record music with a few of my friends from high school. I record and mix all of the music in my bedroom. I need you guys to critique my latest mix. Be harsh too, it will only help me get better. I sing in this band and I also program the drums on fruity loops. The guitars were recorded with a line 6 spider II amp through an on axis sm57. The bass was directly recorded using a Toneport UX2, and the vocals were recorded with an AT3035. The song is called "OUTSIDE THESE FOUR WALLS" and should be the first song on this site. Go to www.myspace.com/swindel please help me out and let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all the help.

Alright worked this time. Its a good song. The low-end seemed a little cluttered to me, the kick drum a lil buried in the process. I guess...maybe...guitars down a bit..could help bring out the vocal a tad too which might be good. The chugs sounded really good.

Overall pretty good mix/song though. Its hard with that much going on down low to tell if compression of the song is adding to what I'm hearing. By compression I mean mp3 or whatever they are using there.

RichHead said:
Alright worked this time. Its a good song. The low-end seemed a little cluttered to me, the kick drum a lil buried in the process. I guess...maybe...guitars down a bit..could help bring out the vocal a tad too which might be good. The chugs sounded really good.

Overall pretty good mix/song though. Its hard with that much going on down low to tell if compression of the song is adding to what I'm hearing. By compression I mean mp3 or whatever they are using there.

Agreed on all counts... Guitars are nice and crunchy, but a bit big, they should come down, they wash over the vocals and everything else. It's awash in preamp clip too, the cymbals are blasted out of existence.

Cool tune, the performances are very good all around, but it needs a lot of mixing/mastering help.

I agree with the other posts, the guitar is too much and is covering not only the vocals but a good deal of the bass which needs a little top end too. Nice song, it has lots of character but I'd go for a different ending.

Thanks for all the replies....what do you guys think if I run a high pass on the guitars say around 110hz then maybe bring them down a bit. As for the bass guitar it was recorded DI so thats probably the reason it lacks the high end. Any one have any suggestions for bringing the kick out more? How would I go about doing something like that?

Oh yeah......I've noticed in professional recordings the guitars seem to be panned out farther left and right. Mine seem to kind of flood the entire recording no matter how far I pan them. In professional recordings the guitars seem to have their own "space" which is farther left and right in the mix(if you listen in headphones you really notice this). I can't seem to get mine to achieve anything close to this. What could I do to fix this?

pewterbird99 said:
Oh yeah......I've noticed in professional recordings the guitars seem to be panned out farther left and right. Mine seem to kind of flood the entire recording no matter how far I pan them. In professional recordings the guitars seem to have their own "space" which is farther left and right in the mix(if you listen in headphones you really notice this). I can't seem to get mine to achieve anything close to this. What could I do to fix this?

Turn em down, mostly, they are just blowing the field away. A low pass at 110 may work, but I'd try being more subtle than that first. And try just hard panning them, get them where you can hear them, then nudge them toward center a little at a time until the blend pleases you.

Back