Please Please Please - check my mix and production...

The Niz

Hi all,

Here’s my newest song for which I’d like to get the mix and production in general checked. All feedback is welcome!
http://www.basicidea.be/sounds.htm (song is called “Please Please Please”)

The gear I’ve used to record it:

Soundtracs Topaz 24/8/2 mixing board and Tascam MS16 reel-to-reel recorder with dbx NR. Drums are coming from a Roland TD6K.
Bass is a Chevy P-bas going DI to mixer to tape.
Synthesizer used is a Korg Polysix (the original hardware one, not the softsynth) going through a Roland RE201 Space Echo (the original one, not the re-issue).

Guitars are all the same Chevy Telecaster (yeah, I really like these) going through some effect pedals to an old Dynacord DA16/V tube amplifier. The output of this is connected to a Marshall SE100 speaker emulator which goes to the mixer and to tape.

Effect pedals for guitar:
Rhythm guitar = Ibanez TS10 Tube Screamer
2nd rhythm guitar = Ibanez PT909 Phase Tone and Ibanez SC10 Stereo Chorus
Solo guitar = Ibanez MS10 Metal Screamer
Small guitar lick in last verse = MXR Pitch Shifter and Ibanez AD202 analog delay set to something weird.

Vocals double-tracked in verses; mic used is the Sound Projects C1.

Fx in mixdown: Roland SRV330 for drums and lead reverbs, Alesis Quadraverb for delay on lead vox and guitar, Dynacord DRS78 for delays on rhythm guitars and ART SGX2000 for other delay.

Mixed to 2-tracks using the EMU 1820m in 192kHz/24bit resolution.

Already thanks for your time and effort!

Greetings,
The Niz
BASIC IDEA

Last edited:
Hmm, there's something i didnt like about the vox in "please please please", but i dont really know what it is.
I liked "tears in her eyes" more then the rest of the songs, but then again, i'm not really a fan of this kind of music, so i cant really judge. It sounds like a band from the 70's to me.

More drums

I think the vox are a little hot, but don't go by me as I'm not sure where they should be lately. Where are the snare on the snare? If this is a drum machine, try a different snare Gotta pull some 400hz on them as well. The mix is very guitar heavy and drum lacking. Also seems like there is some wonky compression on the drum buss possibly? The delay with the vox seems to be clashing with the high hats or is there a delay on the HH? I'd lose that too. The drums seem like the biggest issue here, work on them separately and then the rest. I can really tell this was mixed by a guitar player/singer. Hope this helps

The songs are good, with good, original arrangements. The drum machine is killing them, though, man. That "snare" sounds like a tom...and I can't hear any kik. That's really all that bothers me. Everything else, from guitar to vocals, is really good in my opinion.

The songs are good, with good, original arrangements. The drum machine is killing them, though, man. That "snare" sounds like a tom...and I can't hear any kik. That's really all that bothers me. Everything else, from guitar to vocals, is really good in my opinion.

I agree with Rami. The drums are pretty awful. The rest sounds pretty good. Maybe compress the vox so they don't jump out as much.

I agree with Rami. The drums are pretty awful. The rest sounds pretty good. Maybe compress the vox so they don't jump out as much.

Yes,

Also, consider on the chorus especially to add a vocal harmony. There is a nice and simple enough melody on the chorus that adding a harmony to it would really drive it home.

Also, like someone else mentioned, the drums are hurting you. gotta hear that kick on a song like this.

Sometimes it helps with a drum machine to go back to your presets and take everthing out except the kick and snare and double track them either together or separately so you have more control over them.

Sounds good though.

Hey, thank you all for the comments and for your time.
I know that the drums could be better, but we consider this a demo recording, and hope to add real acoustic drums one day (when I finish my drum room) and remix the whole song.

Also thanks for the sugestion to add harmony vox in the chorus, could be a great idea to try!

Greetz,
The Niz

What he said. Exactly:)

Back