please listen to this and shred it

tomb

hello all, im new to recording. i did this song, and people told me i needed compression on it, and told me the reverb sounded to gay. they couldnt explain why i needed it, or why it makes it sound better, so i decided to come here. i know this will probably sound terrible to you guys, but you can at least explain why it does and give suggestions. i wrote this song for my daughters so it means alot to me to get it sounding good. if my vocals suck, guitar playing is awful let me know. here is the link, and thanks in advice. http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3688&alid=-1

OK, welcome

There is a static like sound--is that on purpose, it's distracting.

Strings are too hot in the opening, burying the vocals.

Bring the vocals up a little, the strings down and lose that static sound and its pretty good. There are a couple of points where the harmony is off just a touch.

thnaks, ill have to listen for the buzzing sound, i do agree about the harmonies, this was my first real attempt at them. thanks for listening.

the fast left right panning in the intro is really distracting. Try to get rid of the noise. I'm not particulary fond of that synth sound that comes in at 4:20 either. Also you seem to lose tempo now and then. The singing sounds a little forced, from the throat, try to relaxe while you sing..

The song's certainly got potential. I bet your daughters will love it when it's finished. :)

you've got a good melody going here, I like the strings

Your vox are buried, I can’t (well almost can’t) hear them; “turn ‘um up”

the tempo speeds up at around 3:50, then slows again with the into of that synth sound that you outro with (loose it, just my opinion)

"the reverb sounded to gay", I didn't hear any 'verb that stood out

Very catchy melody, hooked me right away

thank you very much. for the reverb i took it out. this was my second attempt i guess at mixing. i added compression and kileld the reverb. heres what i did, i recoded 1 track for vocals and guitar plus the back up vocals. i then took each track and turned it into 3 tracks. i took 1 and panned it left, then the other right and one right in stero. is this really needed? my mix sounded really thin until i did that. i think i will take the synth out. doesnt see mto be going over for many people. guys keep em coming. i appreciate any advice you can give. thanks again.

Back