The plans : Jazz song, bombastic drums + bass

Rassoodocks

hey guys.. well, i didn't get much feed back on my other song... but, i've recorded another song and i'm happier with the drum and bass sound on this one... i've been told the vocals are too soft... but, i really don't get why people say that... all the bands i like, the vocals are treated like an instrument, ie: the police, radiohead, led zeppelin... i guess i'm scared of making white boy mixes... there's nothing i can't stand more than mixes that are all vocals and guitars...

so anyway, have a listen, if you may! and tell me what you think... the bass is a little boomy at the start, but, i want it REALLY big and bombastic, so... it may have to stay like that..

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3525&alid=785

tis the only one on there 'the plans'...

"White Boy Mixes":D. Yeah, there certainly aren't any white guys who can mix worth a fuck, LOL

>well, i didn't get much feed back on my other song

Have *you* given anyone *else* feedback? Maybe you have, I don't know. But that could be why.

Anyway, count me in with the people who say the vocal's too low. The low end sounds okay to me, but you gotta bring the vox out of there and let them be heard. You could bring em up a couple dbs and they still won't be anywhere near too loud.

So don't worry, it'll still be a "black dude mix" or whatever...

Chris

ah, i didn't say white boys couldn't mix.. i just implied that i didn't like white boy mixes...especially white jazz, it's so artificial to me *shrug*

and, no, i haven't commented... merely because, i'm simplistic, there's not much i can really offer, other than a 'good' or 'bad' really, and, my mother taught me not to say anything, if you don't have anything good to say : ) so, i don't say anything.

so anyway...*check* turn vocals up.

"all the bands i like..., ie: the police, radiohead, led zeppelin..."

"i just implied that i didn't like white boy mixes"

Dude, um... you do know, like, which color white is, right?

It's the lighter one.

Consult the record covers of the above bands for an example.

Or look in the mirror.

And by the way, don't it kinda bug you, that phony Jamaican accent that Sting sings in? ("Yooo don' haaav too poot on da reeed light....", etc.)

Like, you know he's basically imitating Bob Marley, right?

And Zep? You've heard the original (black) version of "Whole Lotta Love" that they're massacreing with their screeching, right?

Just havin' some fun on a Friday,
Chris

Not bad. Good flow. A bit more depth and wideness in the mix would help set the dark wooden stage that I think your after. As a bassist i`d wanna go into a trot after the 2nd verse and let the adlibs rain on down.
Check out "Yonder Tree" Gino Vannelli, for some way serious "ain't white that is white boy" mixes too.

I think I can make out a kick drum waaaaay back in there somewhere. Yeah I know this is "jazz", but a little more wouldn't hurt. It'd be nice to hear some more of the subtle snare stuff too.

BTW, this will throw a big 'ol monkey wrench into your "artificial" white boy jazz opinion.:D

grucho, i'm glad you like taking things out of context, it gives me something to smile at....

so, you don' t give a shit that white guys steal a whole movement accredited to black musicians and then, don't respect the roots... that's ok, that's a typical position.

So, infact, my favourite bands, are indeed, very black in many ways, and, sting, may put on a phoney accent but he's not exactly pretending he's the master of the style, now, is he? which is my point... the first jazz album in america was released by a white band, who, beat a black band to it who were scared that their secrets would be revealed and copied... in turn, when the white jazz album came out, they advertised they were the inventors of jazz. is it any wonder? Aboriginals in this country are surpressed in much the same way. 'terra nullius' an invented law that deemed australian land uninhabited so the english could move in. is it any wonder? if you've got a problem with my view that, whites are merely copying blacks, then fine. Whites can play black all they want... but, they should not deny the roots of what they're doing. I merely try to adhere to that and i'm pissed off that there isn't more awareness in our fucking white bulldozer society of ours. So, get off that big american steed of yours, i'm not a racist, i'm just fair.

toki - yes, nice that you mentioned that 'dark stage' i think i go for that feel a lot of the time, just what i like... and the bass... hrm, it's a new song, so the bass player may come up with something yet.

m.brane - bass drum, yeah... i'd like a little more... but, compared to the drum sounds i WAS getting, these are much better... they sound alive, not dead. i don't actually use a bass mic, the nt1000 2 meters infront of the bass drum picks the bass up... so.. hrm, see what i can do about it. as for that cd.. i don't have the money, maybe an mp3 or something, somewhere...

thanks for the feedback and shitty politics : )

Where do you get off unloading on Chris like that? And assume he's an American? I see nowhere in his posts does he indicate he's from the states but I can see you have a big chip on your shoulder and are ready to grind an axe with 'Arrogant Americans'

Not to mention you're not going to win any popularity contests coming into the clinic saying you have nothing positive to say about ANYBODY's mixes.

If you really want to get technical and since you're such a history nazi why don't we take the whole concept of the diatonic/pentatonic scales back to their origin. They were develop by a bunch of monks hangin out in like dracula's old town or something (read: White guys).

All styles owe major props to classical (what doesn't?) but you don't seem the least bit interested in that because it doesn't give you an oppressed racial angle to whine about. Puh-leeze.

Last edited:
i didn't say anything, because, my feed back would be, worthless, doesn't mean it was only going to be bad.

and, true, maybe i shouldn't whine, but, i only made a half arsed remark about 'white boy mixes' which was jumped on by 'chris'... so, i merely answered back.

sorry if i'm stepping on anyone's toes, american or not.

ok, maybe i got the wrong impression. i though you meant you wouldn't comment because you had nothing nice to say.

Give it a shot even if it's nothing more than general impression on what a song reminds you of or something. It will go appreciated.

Anyway, since it seems this was a misunderstanding I gave your tune a spin.

Some thoughts here. Very strange stuff almost sounds experimental to me, but i'm not that well versed in jazz soo..

Maybe take a little of the bass in the intro, it didn't boom or anything like that but it felt on the borderline of strident.

You've got some talented musicians in that group. Made me enjoy listening to jazz.

Drums seem to come out of weird angles like they are really panned wide or something.

Watch for something in you very highs in the snare i think, i started to get brain darts in their somewhere.

i've given a few people some comments on grucho's recommendation... did my best... = ]

yeah, the intro is a little weird... i sung it just after waking up, it was a first take... you know how it is when you get on to a new recording technique, you just, jot things down, you want to listen to the end product.

yep, i have the drums panned not completely right left, but, say 25% and 75% with each overhead.. i kind like how it thins out the sound...

experimental is very good... i guess it may be a little experimental sounding, but it borrows a lot from jazz... as for the talent factor.. i think the bass playing is awesome, i love my bass player, he is such a sensitive musician.. i write the songs, he adapts to anything and still ends up finding his own voice... very nice guy... as for the drums.. that was me.. i'm no drummer... my drummer and brother was off doing something else when i got the urge... i agree with the brain darts too...

- "Made me enjoy listening to jazz." that comment, quite possibly, made my day kind sir.

Rory.

"so, you don' t give a shit that white guys steal a whole movement accredited to black musicians and then, don't respect the roots... that's ok, that's a typical position."

And, uh... you got that from which part of my post?

Anyway, silliness aside (mostly on your end), this song is supposed to be jazz?

Lessee... we've got ignorant remarks about white people, followed by a list of white bands who are your "favorites", followed by a jumbled and incoherant "jazz history" rant, with some (no doubt penetrating) remark on "American" in there somewhere - and all this appropos of a kind of jam-band type guitar wank (which I kinda dug, so don't get me wrong there) called "the plans" which bears about as much resemblance to jazz as Zep does to the blues.

You're one confused dude, Rassoodocks.

I kinda like ya.:D

Chris

UH!!! wow

Rassoodocks, your song is fuckin amazing man. It's by far the song I like the best on this board since I registered.

Wow seriously it's great. I'm a big fan of Radiohead and I can really find some of that attitude in your playing.

The only thing I'd change is the solo. I don't like the way it brings the mood in the usual jazz stuff category. I would maybe use some effects on the guit to change the overall sound of it. (Or do something completly different? Just saying that the guit solo kills that very nice mood you got rollin imo.) It just depends on which side you are: more usual jazz stuff or Radiohead stuff.

Anyways, I would definatly knock at your door if you were in my city, eventhough I can barely speak english.

yes, i am fairly chaotic.. and, there will always be skeptics... to me, it's better to do it the way you want to, than submiss to convention. if that makes me 'confused' then, so be it.

although.. guitar wank? i hate guitar..i play it because i know how to play it and kazzoo doesn't suit... i really hope it doesn't sound like 'guitar wank'... that would be a terrible outcome. i usually aim to focus the listener on the rhythms, be it in guitar, bass, voice or drums. hrm. expand, if you could.

thanks a heap shakaun... not many people have really 'got' this song.. they're found it weird... and, with the solo comment, you're hitting something that is really a big thing for me.... my passion is jazz, but, to me, i think jazz needs some revamping, maybe 'new age jazz.' that's what i aim for. so, like groucho said, it's not really jazz, but... then again, it does borrow a lot. so, the purists would say, 'not jazz' and the mainstream would say 'jazz' so, where would i fit? personally... the solo is my favourite part of the song... mainly because i really nailed the drums in that section... and i think it needed a kind of off the handle solo, as opposed to the laid back feel... but yeah, maybe something weird like a wah, or flanger or, even, gosh, sax. but hey, if you're a radiohead fan and you like my stuff, that makes me beam : ) btw... i could teach you english... i'm studying to be an english teacher : )

well, I think how loud you mix each instrument is totally subjective, but remember vocal is the only one with actual words, everything else leans toward the abstract side in terms of communication.

I think this sounds real good, can't make out every word that's sang tho. Don't like the guitar solo, the riffs played here is not as jazzy or creepy (?) compared to the rest of the song. Standard penetonic scale to be exact. Real dig the drum playning and sound!

Al

I like the music (but I have to admit: your attitude puzzles me a little, Rassoodocks...)

I'd mix the vocals a tad louder but hey, I'm a dutch white boy. ;)

The rest sounds OK. Agree on the kick comment. More kick, please!

And review some music by the others please...

good point a1a2... i vocals do have words... but, i like not being able to understand everything... it makes you concentrate...as for the solo... i like the first bit... i really like that first bit... then when i kind of play along with my voice it's not as good, but the first bit rocks. i'm fairly limited on guitar so...

pedullist - dutch white boys rock : ) my 'white boy mix' was seriously very tongue in cheek. oh well, shit happens. i have reviewed some other peoples music... wireneck is AWESOME. *impressed*

Rassoodocks said:
thanks a heap shakaun... not many people have really 'got' this song.. they're found it weird... and, with the solo comment, you're hitting something that is really a big thing for me.... my passion is jazz, but, to me, i think jazz needs some revamping, maybe 'new age jazz.' that's what i aim for. so, like groucho said, it's not really jazz, but... then again, it does borrow a lot. so, the purists would say, 'not jazz' and the mainstream would say 'jazz' so, where would i fit? personally... the solo is my favourite part of the song... mainly because i really nailed the drums in that section... and i think it needed a kind of off the handle solo, as opposed to the laid back feel... but yeah, maybe something weird like a wah, or flanger or, even, gosh, sax. but hey, if you're a radiohead fan and you like my stuff, that makes me beam : ) btw... i could teach you english... i'm studying to be an english teacher : )

Yeah well it's no surprise that most people will find it weird. It's not the usual stuff they hear on the radio so...

Commercial music is flooded with pretty people signing some other guys lyrics and that's a shame. The problem is, the majority likes it and doesn't care. Mr "normal guy" doesn't want anything fancy, he just wants an "easy-likeable-on-the-first-listenning beat". And there's nothing you can do about it. I'll stop right here cause I can get very sad when I think about that.

Anyways to get back on the subjet, I think the part between 1:20 and 2:00 is the best. Very strong part. I love it. Still, the only part I would change would be the solo, it really sets me off. It's the kind of song I would work on, but instead on going back to the usual jazz type of stuff with the solo, I'd get closer to the Radiohead type of stuff. So don't listen to me if you're trying to sound more jazzy :) Anyways, when you know what you want, you don't need to listen to anyone's opinion. You just do it the way you like, and if others like it too, then cool. If not, then too bad for them.

Btw I don't know if you ever check your e-mails on nowhere radio but I wrote something to you there.

i didn't know you could get emails on no where radio...

shakuan... as far as all the conservatism goes. i'm with you. except, i'm a little more violent about it. these days economy comes first, then social standing, then social convention... then, art. Art is seen as some pseudo abstract notion that is 'nice for the millionaires to play 'look at my stamp collection' ' That's the way i feel about it. I'm totally against convention and taboos, as you can no doubt understand from my 'white boy mix' comment. which was basically saying exactly what you're saying. my worst enemy is 'nice'. I'd rather make people, cry, vomit or, just very angry. anything else is a waste of time in my opinion. it's all very philosophical and people don't like that. philosophy is big and scary and makes people venture outside the cave of convention. I do realise that i'm a complete post modernist wanker and, i don't really care if that's something that's frowned upon.

as for 120 to 200... i thought it was a little disjointed... but, hey, cool...and, well... i've got some songs that sound very radioheadish... and some songs that sound very very jazz... i think this song is kinda one of the more jazzy ones.. so, in the context of an album, the jazz solo would probably be the best way to go, cos, all the other stuff is closer to jeff buckley/radiohead... thus, why i like the song, because it does have a jazzy edge, but it's not overly jazz. i'll upload another song on nowhere radio you can listen to... just as a comparison. btw....you got anything i could listen to?

Back