original - need advice!

thexflamesxburn

ok, so i've been doing recording for awhile, but not all that seriously. ive learned what i could, and i consider myself knowledgeable enough to create a decent sounding final mix.

BUT i know there is always room for improvement, and i feel like my mixes and overall knowledge needs to grow.

i would love to hear opinions on this recent mix i did of an original song i made with my friend. i use PT LE 7.1 for everything, plugins including waves L2, eq, comp, rbass, and i think thats pretty much it. guitars are digital, amplitube, for convenience (since i was forced to sell my mesa due to financial troubles).

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9325

please criticize it as much as possible! i want to learn!

The bass needs definition in the intro - it takes a while before it becomes distinct throw in a sizeable peak at 3khz.
the riffs are good, some of the drumming seems, to me, to slip timing a little - or a least gets too busy to hold it together.
What about a melody or vocal?
Nice work so far.

thanks i'll try that 3khz boost.

yeah im not too concerned with the musicianship, my friend and i just screw around and record stuff for fun. i agree with the business, he gets a little too excited haha.

im going to find a girl to sing on it for the hell of it, powerpop type stuff. ive got the time, so why not?

I agree with Ray... the drums are a bit.....all over the place timing wise. It takes a bit away from the flow of the song. One way to fix that is to try a click track. The drummer has a lot of good ideas that just need to be tightened up. He definitely fills up the space with the drums, so he should be commended for his efforts in that regard. How did you record this with a live drummer with no amp???? Overall the mix seems pretty tight, and the recording is great, so just some polish and maybe a singer and you got it happening....

:):D:):D

Back