Original Instrumental Rock

Love the guitar sounds and playing is very good, bowling alley sounds made me LOL

couple of things for me, Drums seem to be kind of distant sounding. Snare could be more up front kick is pushing through but snare is behind the mix
Bass part was kind of one dimensional just 4x4 dum, dum, dum, dum...... all the way through

Really good sound though. I liked

Thanks a lot for the feedback. On my seemingly never ending to-do list, the snare is already on it as you mentioned; I noticed the same thing. As for the bass, I did that on purpose but I may reconsider based on your observation. We'll see.

I also checked out your stuff too from your home page. It appears we're not too different in many ways. One man band, creativity at any given moment, (yeah, I've had songs come to me in the shower, and other strange places too...) I'm definitely glad to be here in this time, technology speaking. Too bad computer based recording wasn't around when I was in High School though.

And I like a lot of your tunes, GPS especially! Keep it up and thanks again.
Cheers,

Liked the sound as well. It's got that Van Halen sound to it. Personally, for me the kick and snare sound kinda boxy, I don't know, how I would recommend fixing that other than maybe taking out some of the low end boom and add more *crack* to the snare.

You got a good tone on the guitars and the bowling alley sounds are a nice touch. I personally think the bass is fine as is - it gives a constant driving feel to the rest of the song.

The drums are the main thing that are making the mix sound narrow at the moment. I'm probably not the right person to add much about how to make drums better, but they sound like they're missing some frequencies around the upper mids that would open them up.

Good to see you got the courage together to post :D

Sounded pretty good. Rhythm guitar sounded decent. They maybe lacked just a little bit of "bite" or "edge" to them. A little tame for a song like this.

Something about the kick bugged me. It's pretty loud for one thing. It also had a lot of "click" in it.

I liked the bowling sounds too. Something you don't hear every day on a rock song.

Bass sounded good and was sitting just about right.

The mix for me is good and mastering has come out right too. Great ideas and well performed. The leads are a little flat at the beginning and near the end (in the upper register) so it sounds like your intonation is off. The rest of the leads are perfect. Rhythm is rocking. You gotta tell me what you rhythm guitar signal path is!

The mix for me is good and mastering has come out right too. Great ideas and well performed. The leads are a little flat at the beginning and near the end (in the upper register) so it sounds like your intonation is off. The rest of the leads are perfect. Rhythm is rocking. You gotta tell me what you rhythm guitar signal path is!

Below is an image of the left rhythm channel. The right is the same. Typical play twice and pan one left and one right. I've got the plug-ins laid out in the picture in order of the signal path.

The Ren Compressor is there to use in the side chain from the kick & snare.

The Ren Desser is there to take away some of the harshness before the EQ and the EQ is there to... well EQ. That's the Waves VEQ4. Great little unit.

The guitars were played through my Peavey 5150 into a Marshall 4X12 then into two Shure Beta 57A's.. To mix it up, I place one mic straight on and up against the grill for the left channel and the other is off-axis slightly for the right channel. Just enough difference in sound that, to me anyway, gives it a bit more depth to work with than using the same mic position for both takes.

Well, that's my approach anyway, I hope that's of some value. And thanks a lot for the advice too.

StrikeDownRhythmSettings2.jpg

Great backing track... needs a vocal.

I don't mind the bass pulse, but the treatment could be "rounder".

And yes, the snare needs much more crack.

Back