Orginal Southern Rock tune "Don't Wait UP"

The song is pretty cool, but the mix needs some work. Vocals way too low, kick way too loud w/ no definition. Plenty of low end tho! My woofers were hoppin'! :) Try to get the kit sounding more as a whole.

Cool toon.

Yea I think the vocals could be louder and I would like to hear more definition on the bass guitar notes...I know it must be in there but I would like to be able to pick out the distinct notes of the bass. Just to nitpick, this doesn't sound like southern rock to me (which to me is bands like Lynard Skynard, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special)...but it sounds like maybe some kind of "Honkytonk" sound (especially the vocal)...there is a guy who I belief plays a homemade guitar and he sings a song called "Highway Patrol"...It was in that movie "Me, Myself, and Irene"...anyway this song reminds me of him"...I think he also sings a song called "My wife thinks your dead".

Thanks for the replies. I thought the bass line sounded a little like a Molly Hatchet bass line. I could be wrong.

To define the bass, how would you adjust the bass? It would be a great to hear what specific adjustments you guys would reccommend. Like, specific frequencies or commpressor settings etc......

mawtangent said:
Yea I think the vocals could be louder and I would like to hear more definition on the bass guitar notes...I know it must be in there but I would like to be able to pick out the distinct notes of the bass. Just to nitpick, this doesn't sound like southern rock to me (which to me is bands like Lynard Skynard, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special)...but it sounds like maybe some kind of "Honkytonk" sound (especially the vocal)...there is a guy who I belief plays a homemade guitar and he sings a song called "Highway Patrol"...It was in that movie "Me, Myself, and Irene"...anyway this song reminds me of him"...I think he also sings a song called "My wife thinks your dead".

Junior Brown. Guitar badass. Plays a combo tele/ lap steel on a stand.

rdozz, I am super low-tech (mostly have experience with a 4-track cassette recorder) and there are people on this forum that could give you more knowledgeable/detailed advice...but this is what I would try with the bass (if it is on one track by itself): isolate it (solo it) and listen to see if it is too dull or muddy...if it is too undefined experiment with the EQ to give it more definition (cutting lows and/or boosting highs)...once it sounds more distinct and defined bring the whole mix back up and judge the results. Maybe someone else can post and give advice about compression and specific frequencies for EQ.

Back