Open D song and another acoustic song.

new2mix

I posted this a while back and got some comments on it but didnt have time to play with it. I still can't get the electric guitar to sound like I want it but its closer. give it a listen and maybe somebody would like to add some drums to it or even some vocals.

The second song I like most of the parts in it but I tried to use an acoustic guitar to create the bass parts and it came out like crap and I lost the session file so I am stuck with it.

I listened to the first one. Not in the studio for the week so I'm stuck listening on some sub-par computer speakers.

Lots of boomyness coming from the 'bass' guitar. Acoustic guitar sound is very 'raw', which I personally like. Are you recording with a cardioid mic?

Electric guitar tone sounds okay. I bet it sounded better coming from the amp. :) Too much 'extra' noise from it causing it to not mix well with the acoustic.

The song is good. Fix the boomyness in the 'bass'. Get the electric guitar to sit better with the other instruments. That's easier said than done on sparse mixes like this. Turn your gain down for the rhythm parts on the electric, and maybe back up for the lead/solo work. It also sounds very 'digital'. Not sure what amp you're using, but it sounds almost amp-sim-like on the parts where it's just playing chords.

Nameless said:
I listened to the first one. Not in the studio for the week so I'm stuck listening on some sub-par computer speakers.

Lots of boomyness coming from the 'bass' guitar. Acoustic guitar sound is very 'raw', which I personally like. Are you recording with a cardioid mic?

Electric guitar tone sounds okay. I bet it sounded better coming from the amp. :) Too much 'extra' noise from it causing it to not mix well with the acoustic.

The song is good. Fix the boomyness in the 'bass'. Get the electric guitar to sit better with the other instruments. That's easier said than done on sparse mixes like this. Turn your gain down for the rhythm parts on the electric, and maybe back up for the lead/solo work. It also sounds very 'digital'. Not sure what amp you're using, but it sounds almost amp-sim-like on the parts where it's just playing chords.

I need to redo the bass part I guess. I just recorded it and tried to fix it and thats not cutting it. I don't play bass very well and have lots of trouble with string to string balance of volume. I used an MXL 909 (unidirectional I think) to record the acoustic. I have two behringer c-2 condensers but I think they are not very clear or bright at all, and its a takamine g240 so it does sound like plywood.
as far as the electric guitar part.... I have a 30 year old peavey classic 212 solid state pre and 6l6 power tubes. I like some sounds on the amp but it seems to lack clarity fast as the gain increase. I use a Visual Sound jeckyll and hyde distortion pedal. I liked the pedal a lot more when it went through my marshall JCM 900 head. It does have the somewhat grainy sound that a amp sim would have if you listen closely to the speaker. And a little bit of it is that I think MY EV C04 mic picks up on the muddiness part of it. I think it picks up pretty well overall but just the amp and that mic aren't the best combo. I don't think I can get the acoustic anybetter. i put some reverb on it , a little parametric EQ, and compressed it just a tad. The bass I will redo with a pick and it should sound a little more crisp (my technique on the bass is a little lacking). The electric guitar part I will continue to work on.

Thanks for the comments. Check out the second song. I actually did not have the bass guitar at that point and tried to record the bass with the acoustic. it gets boomy on a few notes but other than that I thought it sounded good

Last edited:
Back