No Response (Alternative/Rock)

toddfugere

This is a song I wrote 20 something years ago. I recently re-recorded everything and I'm trying to get it mixed as best I can. Any advice on how to improve the mix?

No Response (2019) by toddfugere | Todd Fugere | Free Listening on SoundCloud

When we met I thought about it
But now I don't think
I saw you were speaking
But now I don't see
I heard the thoughts that you spit
I'm covered with your words
I don't know if I can respond
I don't know what to say

I know what’s wrong
I know what’s right
I'd rather stand here
With my mouth shut
Than to come across like a fool
I heard the sigh that you heave
I hang in silence
But I know there'll be no response
No response

Is there some effect on the vocals? They sound a bit off.
Other then that it sounds pretty good. Maybe add a subtle solo (lead) acoustic ditty in it to create a bit of movement.

Tuning on the vocals sounds a bit funny.

I actually really like this. The lyrics, the vocal melody, the performance, the instrumental. I like it so much that if you wanna share your final song with me, I'd download it.

Last edited:
EQ, Reverb, compression, de-esser, saturation, pitch correction. Then there are some harmonies etc. Maybe too much pitch correction? I've never really been satisfied with my vox. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

The doubled acoustic guitars sounded pretty nice. The bass and keyboards sound nice.

I like the way the vocals split wide shortly before 1:00.

The pitch correction on the vocal is the biggest thing you need to deal with. With an intimate song like this, a natural vocal would IMO sound nicer than the heavily pitch corrected one that you have.

I'll speak just about the pitch correction. I'd say it's better, but not as good as it would be if the part was song on pitch in the first place. I know sometimes that's just not possible.

The pitch correction is not as noticeable. I still struggle to understand the words. Often words at the beginning of lines sound weird.

But anyway, it sounds better to me.

I'm pretty "breathy" when I sing and I typically cut out breaths before vocal lines, is that what is making it sound weird? Is that a no-no to cut them out? I thought it sounded a lot cleaner without all the breaths.

I listened to the link at the first post because the other was invalid. I get what people are saying about pitch correction. They are finicky and have to be done with finesse. I think guitar sounds pretty good. Bass, sounds good too, I like how its just enough to be heard and not overwhelm the song and ruin the intimacy. Vocals sound ok, goes well with rest of music. Good job

Very nice song. Guitar solo in the first break could come up a bit more. Not a fan of auto tune( pitch correcting). Try having some one else sing the song. But, it's fine work. Love the acoustic guitars.

Nice job. I just listened today so perhaps all the changes have been made. I like the vibe of the song. I like the sound of the song. The vocals sound good to me, but even if they were slightly over-corrected, maybe that would be the sound? It's all part of the whole. Again, I like it all.

Thanks for the feedback. Vocal tuning is very new to me (first time using it actually). I know what over done (Cher and T Pain) sounds like. But I have a hard time hearing the artifacts I guess. Need to work on that skill. I'm happy with how it turned out tho. I appreciate the advice from everyone.

Back