next attempt at getting better at this

I forgot too tell you but yes there is an extra bar at the beginning:D Other than that i loaded your song into my software and programmed along so it should pretty much match.

Some good ideas - the lead guitar is too quiet in the intro.
The drums need some EQing to beef them up.
Is there a bass? Can't hear/feel it!
You'll have to do a bit of vol control on the drums as the vol is constant though the piece feels like it needs soft & loud parts.
Polska - I'm the thread killer not you - perhaps we should have a thread killing comp.

Some good ideas - the lead guitar is too quiet in the intro.
I almost thought this was still too loud. I don't have actual studio monitors I use some celestion c40s (4 inch woofer and tweeter) so maybe thats why. So you think the little arpegiated part in the beginning is too soft. I will relisten to that.

The drums need some EQing to beef them up.
My problem with this is that I use Reaper and I have EQ and stuff on most everything except the drums (I did EQ the snare) and if I add anymore my computer begins to stutter. I have a 2.8 Ghz pentium 4 with 1.5 gbs of ram and I still have problems.) I will see what I can do though.

Is there a bass? Can't hear/feel it!
Not yet.. Care to add one? I have a friend working on it but he is slow and lazy.

You'll have to do a bit of vol control on the drums as the vol is constant though the piece feels like it needs soft & loud parts.
I had already thought about this but haven't had the time to do it yet.

Polska - I'm the thread killer not you - perhaps we should have a thread killing comp.
I think that just by posting some threads on here I have nearly killed this entire forum.. beat that!!!!

Thanks for you suggestions.

sounds much more clear and present. I like it. Would you mind redoing it once I get some of the stuff fixed and the bass in there. Maybe somebody will throw a bass track in there for me.

I think is this is a neat piece all in all... The solo/lead seems a little too linear, but it works. The accoustic guitar seems well played/tracked. What mics did you use?

You could always try adding a very subtle delay to the solo guitar track. So you cant hear it. Or is that not what James meant by linear.

Eck

The solo just seems too predictible or too focused on the scale. A trick that I sometimes use is to have 3-4 takes of a solo or lead and make sure they were all played differently. Then take the most interesting parts from each take and cut and paste them together. What makes it fun is when the lead guitarist has to relearn his solo after we finish the record (HA!).

The solo just seems too predictible or too focused on the scale. A trick that I sometimes use is to have 3-4 takes of a solo or lead and make sure they were all played differently. Then take the most interesting parts from each take and cut and paste them together. What makes it fun is when the lead guitarist has to relearn his solo after we finish the record (HA!).

I get you now.
Yeah thats a really good way to do things when recording solos, or even vocals.

Eck

A trick that I sometimes use is to have 3-4 takes of a solo or lead and make sure they were all played differently. Then take the most interesting parts from each take and cut and paste them together.

Is that what you guitar players do????

Damn, I bust my butt for hours trying to nail a solo I like in one take...when I could be doing this!?!?!?!?

NO! I refuse to be like you!!!! I'll NEVER be like you!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D:D

That linear solo you speak of is called being a poor guitar player. The intro little arpeggiated thing and the first, and middle lead are all a friend of mine who is a much better guitar player but I don't like the second lead part that he did. The middle is my favorite and the last lead is me playing around with a lead. I need to learn to play guitar much better than I can to get anywhere with this song writing stuff.

This song was done in several pieces over time. The first acoustic part was recorded with Naiant mics the omni one. The second acoustic part was recorded with a Studio Projects B1 (my favorite now) both of these were on a shitty takamine guitar. The last acoustic part was the B1 on my friends Taylor guitar. All of the electric parts were recorded using the B1 or my EV CO4 through a Studio Projects VTB1 pre-amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=721054

made some changes. This song is pretty much dead below 120 hz to leave space for the bass when someone makes a bass line for me. I made some changes to the drums. I made them a little quieter in the beginning and the end and gave them a little for overhead for some sizzle. I read on here where someone said one of the most important things they learned was that using delays on some things instead of reverb on everything keeps the track from soundings as cluttered. I tried this out and it seems to have made some more space in the mix. I was also having problems with reaper suttering with all thos eqs and effects on but getting rid of some of the reverb and using delay got rid of that. That and getting rid of the ReFir VST plugin (EQ,compression,gate, all in one) and using ReQ instead seams to have cleaned it up a little more.

Comments?

Am I getting close on this mix? I really like the third part where the acoustics come in I think they sound great but then it gets a little cluttered when all the drums come in louder.

Comments?

Am I getting close on this mix? I really like the third part where the acoustics come in I think they sound great but then it gets a little cluttered when all the drums come in louder.

It's better now.

did you download that demo?? if you did you can change the drums on that last part as i probably over did it with the double kicks:o

Back