Newbie needing advice on self-mastering

The New Hype

hi, folks. first of all, sorry if i write anything wrong here. i'm brazilian, not an expert in english language, u know...

i just finished to mix an album of my own stuff and have no cash at all... so i'll have to do the mastering myself. :( stressing job, mates...

i started with the best song (in my opinion) and i'm trying to make the best of it, cause i'll use it as reference to master the rest of the stuff. would appreciate if you tell me if there's anything broken in it. it's already "mastered" and i think it is maybe kinda harsh, but i'm not sure if there is anything that should really be fixed. my room is just terrible, but i'm trying hard to take the best of it. help me, please.

i won't touch the mix anymore, i've already tweaked it to death. so i would like only suggestions about the mastering step: how bad are the compression, levels, broad equalization, etc...

www soundclick com/thenewhype

i removed the dots from the url, coz the forum doesn't allow me to send links before my fifth post. replace the spaces with dots and access it, please. i've read a lot of the threads here and learned very much in them, but never posted anything. please, forgive me if i couldn't do that.

and thank you all! :)

I'm no mastering engineer so I don't know what to tell you , but it does sound a little harsh when things really get rolling. Ultra-squashed. Cool song song and arrangement though. Drums sound great. Please tell me they're real.

As Greg said....a bit harsh. Try and not compress it quite so much, and see if that helps....just seems to have alot of stuff in the upper frequencies.

Song itself is pretty cool....nice work.

i think i'll put that fuckin exciter out of the mastering chain, i think it's he who's messing up things (besides the compressor).

and thanks for the comments about the song. i hope it makes me a little less poor someday... :)

one more question, since it's not everyday that i have a chance to take advice with foreign buddies...

does my accent make the singing... well... strange?

Back