New song, how are the levels and EQ?

Oh, wow. I didn't realize that, maybe that's why it hasn't been getting comments despite all the views!

Oh well, everyone... I FIXED THE LINK!!

Thankyou for telling me, I wouldn't have noticed that.

-James'

I think this is pretty impressive, in that you have a complex arrangement and all the parts seem to fit together rhythmically and melodically. I like the song pretty well, although its not exactly my style.

I'd probably turn down the clean rhythm guitar a tad when the vocals come in. The vocals sound nice for the verse ... but when she starts singing the "Ooh Ooh Ooh" (or whatever it is;) a little reverb might be nice - she sounds like she's about two inches from my ear right now.

Someone else could probably do a better job of critiquing drums... the snare sounds a little muted to me.

Overall I'd say great job.

Good song. Nice and catchy. I really liked the "ooh ooh ooh" parts.

I'd actually say that the lead guitar was the one that was too loud when the vocals started, but later on in the song, it seemed more reasonable. The song seemed to end a little abruptly; I expected another chorus, but that's ok.

I thought the snare was about 4-5dbs too loud. Ditto for the lead vox.

Some cracklies around :58. More around 3:22.

Seemed like a little screwup around :28. Like the band got off tempo.

I'm hearing some background noise in spots. I suspect it's on the clean rhythm guitar track.

I liked the whoo-hoo-hoos. That was cool. Might be nice to do them with a three part harmony the second time through.

I really liked the song.

The lead vox sound like they're in a differnt space from the instruments. They're very dry.

Yeah, we actually have changed the snare many times... it seems every time we like it we go back and listen again and don't like it.

We mixed this as a band, so no one person was really in control of it. But I will recommend this to the other members for the final CD version.

A three part harmony would certainly be interesting for this song. I don't know how it would sound, but we probably won't do it because we want to only do in the recordings what we can fully replicate live. I think we may give it a try just for the heck of it though, I'll mention it to the other guys.

Also we made the music video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaAvJ8CnOMw

Let me know what you guys think, although this isn't the "music video editing clinic" I'm still interested if you have feedback, there's an option to watch in higher quality.

Any tips on the mix and mastering are still appreciated. We have work to do before finishing the whole cd.

-James'

Recording quality sounds fantastic. I also agree on dropping the snare. The vocals sound like a good level to me though.
The music video seems to have a little delay between the video and audio, but that might be because of youtube or something.

Otherwise, it sure sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Nicely done.

Really dug the harmonizing solo, haha, was Not expecting that at all!

The ooh ooh ooh's get another "well done" from me. Good writing and performance on the song. I can definitely envision this on the radio so if that's where you're aiming best of luck. Mix wise....the snare is not my fave, maybe a little hot, better after the 3:25 interlude. Lots of sibilance on the vocals which I think is easy enough to reduce. I'm not sure if it was mentioned but this could use some compression or mastering to even out the levels ever so slightly.... Again, excellent song, just some minor work on the mix....:D:D:D:D

Thanks man.

I guess I may have been a little compression shy on the mastering process. But if we remix it then we will definitely re-master it.

It seems everyone agrees on the snare, so that will most likely be reduced quite a bit. Our drummer thought it was too hot as well when we were listening back in the studio, but me and the singer thought it was good. I guess we must have been wrong about it now that I'm getting all this feedback, and when I listen now it does sound a bit hot.

I hope it does end up on radio personally, ha ha. That may happen too, we are doing a fall tour and will be getting quite a bit of exposure.

-James'

Yeah, I would just echo a couple things as I listen. During the opening quieter moments the snare is definitely too loud, but later in the song as the levels pick up it sits in the mix a little better. At about 0:35 the guitar that comes in is a little too hot. Really like the female vocals, but there's a lot of sibilance. I also agree that some compression would really tame the whole mix, just smooth it out a little. Well done though. Really like where you're headed with this song.

Well, currently the tour is just the east coast of the US. Ohio is the farthest west we're going so far. But we'd be up to going out there, especially if anyone can get us a gig!

And yeah... Youtube certainly compressed it more than enough. I used to compress things so much and hate it now, so I have not really been doing it enough lately. I need to work on finding a balance... because too much is just awfull, I used to always get that "squashed" sound. Some of my old posts on here, not that old unfortunately... contain some of those recordings.

I hope I've gotten better at compression in mastering, but we mixed this one as a band and Julia herself did a lot of the work.

-James'

-James'

Back