new song/Acoustic

guitarfreak12

This is a Baptist Hymn I re-wrote. I have to still do some mixing to the tracks, but this is my first stab at the mix. Here's the (limitied and quiet pathetic) equipment I have. I've aquired new stuff since the rec of this, but that's what I had at the time. The song you want to listen to is Whispering Hope, the other song is a much lower quality recording from long ago.

Samson CO1
Soundcraft 8 ch. notepad mixer
Stock soundcard in computer
CEP 2

P.S. click on the MP3 icon, the rest doesn't seem to work well

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/carpenterscadencemusic.htm

Well, considering what you had to work with, that sounds amazing!

Only things I'd change -

lower the vocals, bring up the guitar, and it sounds like the vocal is going out of tune a bit.

Nice work!

NL5

Better compression on the vocal. maybe use a few chained compressors to smooth it a bit more.

I like dynamics but not when they take over a track and you lose the perspective.

Otherwise nice. Watch the congestion when you get vocally aggressive and the strings come in. Especially with the lyirca solemn rejoice?? not sure what you are saying. Like the little pan effect near the end. Should make it a bit more dramatic though.

Prolly pan those harmony vox a bit to let the Ld vocal rest well. The percussion is too forward for my taste and how I feel the song.

ok, I had a feeling I was going off pitch a few times. and the perscussion thing, I know what you're talking about. exactly what I wanted to hear guys thanks

Last edited:
giles117 said:
Like the little pan effect near the end. Should make it a bit more dramatic though.

Prolly pan those harmony vox a bit to let the Ld vocal rest well. The percussion is too forward for my taste and how I feel the song.

By the way, the pan was my guitar, I played a d chord, then reversed it and added reverb. and the pan, how much and to which side, should I pan to the left so it won't lose anything in mono, how bout 40%

That sounds great dude.
How did you you get that guitar sound?
You got some ben harper in your voice too.

I listened to I love to love you.
I enjoyed it very much. I like the texture of 12 string on 6 string.
There was a little tubbiness in the low mids but not much. The vocals could have been a little bolder in the upper mids to compete with the guitars.What kind of mic did you use on the vocals?

If you are ever open to collaborations, I'd love to do some drum tracks for you. I play bass as well , but I'm pretty lame except for rudimentary stuff.

If you are ever interested , drop me a note.

Tom

tom@tmixstudio.com
www.tmixstudio.com

Nice tune! It sounds pretty good. My main comment is on the flow. It feels a little hesitant at times. I think it's the congas. It's subtle, but there is something that doesn't feel "smooth".

Fake strings are a little loud here and there.

Nice job!

thanks, for your replies, I just re did the vox, cause I found the spots where I went out of pitch, and I'm going to redo the bongo, maybe add a light ashiko. I guess in the mix I got blurred vision after working on it for a couple hours. Missed some things.

Back