New SHORT sample!!

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
Hi there, I have not posted any work for a while.
This is a rock/metal style riff I mixed using a guitar sim, DI bass and drum samples (that I recorded a while back).

Any views on the sound of the guitar and bass and even drums would be greatly appreciated.

**REVISITED**

Here is the mix without the bass.
http://soundcloud.com/crystalmixing/no-bass

Here is the mix with bass.
http://soundcloud.com/crystalmixing/with-bass

NEW MIX WITH BASS
http://soundcloud.com/crystalmixing/with-bass-2

Cheers,
G

Attachments

• GUITAR SIM TEST.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It's mixed together well... I'm not too sure about the guitar tone, though... It sounds really experimental and a bit Tom Morello-ish, which is fine if that's what you're going for. It's almost synthetic sounding. The drums sound really digital meaning you can tell that they're not real. This is also fine if that's what you're going for. The bass sounds a little undefined and muddy. The guitar and bass together almost sound like they're just one in the same... Maybe with an octave effect or something. Bring up some of the mids and high-mids on the bass to give it more definition. Maybe even bring the bass guitar down as a whole, as it seems to bury the guitar at times.

All in all, an interesting little sample with potential. I'm curious to see what will come of it.

Thank you STAT1STICK,
I am only using 1 drum recording for each hit. :) These are old drum recordings I made.
For the guitar I was looking for a more distorted metal sound, less QOTSA (Queens Of The Stonage) sound. But I cannot ever get a heavy distortion without having a gritty or buzzy un-present sound.

There is a build up in the low mids which is making the mix muddy sounding, but I tried to balance the low mids to have less harshness in the distorted guitars.

Thanks for the input, I will see what I can do about the bass and guitar tones, any more tips on these would be great!

Cheers,
G

I agree, the guitar tone is actually very good, I like it, but it sounds muddy in the mix. The bass cannot really be heard, its sound gets lost with the guitar. But you have a really interesting project here. Keep it up and let me know when you post some new clips.

Thanks all.
I layered some guitars because the tone I was getting was not meaty enough.
I made the bass more present, but I do not like the mix with the bass in, it sounds like its a pitch shifted guitar kind of.

This is 3 sets of doubled guitars. 1 clean, 1 with amp sim distortion and one with pedal sim distortion.
I like the tone, its grizzly but not too grizzly, its present, and not muddy but still has some meat in the low mids.

Here is the mix without the bass.
NO BASS by Crystal Mixing on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Here is the mix with bass.
WITH BASS by Crystal Mixing on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Cheers,
G

The bass adds some body to the track, which is great, but I still think there is a lot happening in the low freq. I agree with what you said, bass sounds like pitch shifted guitar.

And again, great guitar tone, it fits the riff very well

Hey, that is short!

It is a cool riff to be sure. I like the mix with bass better although it's competing with the guitars and not as clearly defined as it could be. The track without the bass almost sounds like there's one in there just from the lows produced by the guitars alone. I'm not sure what sort of tone you're going for, and it's so subjective, but I'd go for less top and bottom on the guitars (more mids) and more top on the bass to bring that out. Just an uneducated guess though, sorry.

The drums drive along nicely but have little or no decay to the sound, so pretty sterile there, but maybe just right for what you have in mind?

Thanks to all!
I'm glad other thought the bass wasn't sitting right as I don;t like the bass where it sits at all. Maybe I can't get the results I am looking for with DI bass. I tried the AMPEG VST but it doesn't seem to do much to help the bass, so I just used EQ and compression to cut the lows and boost the high mids loads!

I added ALOT of reverb to the snare tracks (1 close snare and 1 OHs snare) I might try and bring out the room more by compressing the OHs snare with a long attack and high ratio.
I liks the punch the drums have. The kick imo does not need anything else to it, but the snare I would like to have more natural room decay.

I will repost this again.

Cheers,
G

I can't listen to the latest one, because I'm at work, but I listened to the "with-bass-2" mix. I really dig the riff. The overall sound seems really synthesized, but if that is what you are going for, it works. On my PC speakers, the guitar seemed a bit flat, maybe to much low end.

I'll have to listen to the newest one on my mixing PC with some real monitors.

-Dan

I can't listen to the latest one, because I'm at work, but I listened to the "with-bass-2" mix. I really dig the riff. The overall sound seems really synthesized, but if that is what you are going for, it works. On my PC speakers, the guitar seemed a bit flat, maybe to much low end.

I'll have to listen to the newest one on my mixing PC with some real monitors.

-Dan
Thanks Dan,
with-bass-2 mix is the newest Mix.

I am not looking for the synthetic sound unfortunately, but the whole song is amp sims, DI bass and drum samples so I am kinda in a pickle with getting a believable sound.
I am wanting a nice thick low end on the guitars but I get what you are saying about them being flat. I will try scooping some more.

Cheers,
G

Back