new sessions, listen this week only

sjoko2

Hey there.
Well, the last 8 months have been godawful. I've been ill, a handful of friends decided to stop living, then my dad died, followed 3 weeks later by my mum, Uru's grandmum died exactly the same day and time as my mother, so did Spike Milligan, who was my favorite comedian.
In the meantime my new studio was just sitting there, in perpetual almost readiness.

So, the last funeral done - we decided to do some tracking. We updated some demos using our new guitarman, Alistar Greene. What a find.
Naturally you'll appreciate our state of mind was "intense" to say the least.
The songs will be on nowhereradio,http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/4/1068/singles.shtml , for a week only. Go and have a listen, tell me what you think if you like.

Short description:

Do you believe. We tracked, mixed the original in about 4 hours, as a backing track for a TV fundraiser. Not really Uru's own style, she originally wrote it for someone else. We just added some guitars (UniValve direct into Pro Tools).

You know. Update on the old demo. Our new guitarplayer, Alistar Greene, is a real find. Again, the THD UniValve direct into Pro Tools (line out from the UV). Apart from one obvious bit with a wah paddle, its all just straight Les Paul - UV - P. No effect, no reverbs, no EQ, nothing.

Bethlehem. Thats just the start, the basics. What is specal about it is that this is the first thing I tracked in our new tracking room. NOT in the vocal booth, in the middle of the (large and high) tracking room with all baffles removed for maximum ambiance. Placed Uru far away from the microphone (Stayne tube modified U87) with the microphone set on omnidirectional. Gives you an idea what you can achieve with a NATURAL reverb.
Uru sang it once only - then my diaphram broke - after 2 decades. It apparently couldn't cope with the song :)

Where I stand. OK - here we go. This is the direction we have been developing over the last 1 1/2 years. Its a rough mix, percussion will be added to the tail end of the song. We're now blessed with the permanent addition to Uru's band of Bara Mboup, not a, but THE Senegalese Master percussionist.

I hope you enjoy.........

i am listening to your music through my Cerwin Vega 10" stereo speakers with the volume at 1.8 and it is plenty loud. (83dB)

hello there, listening to "Do You Believe." very soothing sound. everything sounds mixed very well. the bass and drum sound great. i really like the vocal solo starting at 2:30, sounds a lot like Gwen Stefani, the singer for No Doubt. very nice layering with the vocals.

You Know?!... again, great mastering sound. the vocal intro crawls up my spine. the bass is amazing in its simplicity. the seducing "you know" works for me :) i really enjoy the freestyle feel of the verses, a lot like Janet Jackson. The only thing i don't like about it is the guitar sound...not the music itself, it sounds too much like a synth. i want to hear it with more power. the latter guitar part/solo is cool.. i think the other synth sounds take away from the song too, but they also give the song a crazy feeling. loony. Great ENDING!!!

Bethlehem...is this the playlist to your cd? if not, it should be..the level changes so far are amazing. this track is the bomb. if this was my tune, i'd have played the melody with a stand-up or fretless bass instead of what sounds like a synth. the vocals sound great. i love that reverb/delay/chamber effect. crisp and beautiful. lyrics are suitable. you definitely have an intense voice. i want a beat, even if just a snare, hat and kick. let it sit far in the background. it will push the sound around the room, especially at a distance. it's fucking great without it. i'd buy a cd if you have one or when you put one together. this is the direction music needs to go. raw and real. well, not completely raw, but moreso than todays music.

Where I Stand...uh oh. uh oh...tight. feelin' the beat. damn girl, your consistancy is what's going to make you spread. you have a drummer? this can't be a real drum kit. it's tight, i love it. this song should be playing to a love making scene in a movie, with the scene all chopped up and playing slowly. that'd be phat.

you guys/girls rock...i felt this entire track listing. i want a cd. my girlfriend agrees.

if you want to check out my music, come to

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/2/1265/singles.shtml

GREAT JOB!! 9.8 of 10

p.s. i didn't mention anything about your loses. i know what you must be going through..i've had similar roads. one day at a time. let the experiences involved with creating music be your strength. :)

sjoko, sorry to hear about all the turmoil. I was wondering where you've been. All tunes sound great, what a surprise:D . Sounds like you're going to have the World Beat thing going on soon. Very, very cool.

I loved "where I stand"

The hook is awesome, and as usual her voice is crystal clear.

I have some problems with the mix. THe space seems cold and dead, not warm like a lexicon. Was this a conscious decision?

Also, the vocal channel seems to have a "digital sound" for want of a better term.

I just listened to bethlehem. Is that really your room? It sounds quite beautiful.

I think the vox has a tad much HFC

Hey sjoko,

Great to see (read) ya stopping by. Condolences on your losses. Seems like there's only one way to go when ya hit rock bottom. ;)

The tunes sound great (even through my laptop speakers). "You know?!" was pretty amazing. The vocals seemed to distinctly eminate from different areas around the speakers. Also, (what sounded like) the guitar solo was excellent. Very Vai-guitar-talking-ish.

Take care,
Matt

Sjoko...
allow mr. shitmeister supreme, to welcome you back to the boards. Sounds like you have been thru a hell hole...Like someone else said...you've got only one direction to go now.

I like the natural reverb on your one track. Sounds like a nice room. I once worked in an old studio that had a natural chamber, and it was really nice. (for some reason, a lot of other strange stuff-other than audio-somehow seemed to take place in that room too :D)

I have two widely spaced opinions about your stuff. On one hand, I really don't like the music, and the style of the singing, but that's why there is chocolate and vanilla. On the other hand, I really enjoy it, because the sounds, textures, and techniques are really current, and most notably, the production and recording is really fine too...especially at this stage. I like all the intros of the songs, and it really grabs my attention. But, while "putting up with" the repetativeness of the music, and the singing (it's kinda like a weird tangent of a Mariah Caray, with some 'authentic afro' thrown in, ..for lack of better description), I eagerly await the next "new sound", and how things are going to sonically develop and change. You manage to come up with new sounds, and that's hard to do, nowadays. Love the percussion too.

mixmkr

mixmkr said:
Sjoko...
it's kinda like a weird tangent of a Mariah Caray, with some 'authentic afro' thrown in, ..for lack of better description
mixmkr

:D Perhaps that's because the singer is 'authentic afro'?

Back