new monitors- need advice on mix

BRIEFCASEMANX

Winner chicken dinner!
I just got new monitors and I decided to remix this little song idea clip i came up with a few weeks ago for practice. Any advice on it would be great, as I'm inexperienced at mixing(read: i dont have any clue what i'm doing whatsoever!), and it's hard for me to hear a lot of things or know how to fix them. I just need a lot more practice mixing things.

I chose this song to remix because there was some obvious conflict with the guitar and synth bass.

What do you guys think could help?

The first thing i notice is the tremendeous dimension of the first sound (kick drum?). I bet you have both reverb and EQ gained up on that one? At least take away alot of the lower EQ'ing on that one. Also some of the verb.
In this piece I think several things are fighting for the same frequecies. Hard to say what because it really floats together for me. It lacks definition. I really think you are playing way too many elements at the same time. 3 should be more than enough (foundation, rythm, vocals (?)).
The only fight I can put the finger on is the one way down low with the bassdrum and the bass (if there is a bass; hard to separate as a listener).
Rearrange and remix is my best advice. You cannot mix a crazy arrangement into a brilliant piece of music.

Back