New mix of song, would appreciate review and thoughts on the lead vocal

CurtG

Hi, the song is called "Tell You Again (2001)" and is a new mix of an older song. I like the mix so far, except for maybe the lead vocal. I have second thoughts about the EQ and how it sits in the mix.

I am awaiting my TC-Helicon VoicePrism to arrive. I plan on remixing some other tracks with it. Should I touch this one?

Thanks.

CurtG
Scream Sophie

Well, considering all we kept were the drum tracks and backing vocals from the BBR seesion, and retracked everything else on a VS1680, I'd say it was a home recording. Besides, does it matter whether the SSL is in a suite or in a basement? If I had the SSL here in my house would that qualify?

Nevermind. Jeez.

How do you do that delay on selected parts? A pedal?

I like the vocals- I don;t know your vocal range but what about adding a track with you singing the high parts an octave lower . Otherwise I'd leave it be

Shana

Thanks, Shana.

The delayed vocal was done by copying the track to a spare track and editing the phrase into the proper time positioning.

I was more concerned with how the vocal sits in the mix. To me it seemed sort of mid-rangey sounding, and didn't sit quite right. I have thoughts of remixing it but so far everyone says to leave it alone.

It sounds kind of odd with the lead vocal the way it is. I don't know, needs more warmth or something? Maybe a little less mids and a little more bass, maybe a thicker reverb, with a short predelay?

Jake

Jake, I have been thinking along similar lines. I felt like the mids made it not sit well. I really appreciate you taking the time to analyze it. I have been EQ the lead vocals on some later tracks and think I'm getting closer to the sound I want.

I will also play around with the predelay on the reverb. I don't know why yet, but I always have trouble getting the vocal to sit in just right in my mixes. Most of the time they are too loud. I guess that's better than being too low.

I've decided. I will remix it. Thanks again Jake, and you too, Shana.

p.s. Shana I like your idea of doubling the part an octave lower, but we already have 2 other tracks like that, and I don't want to overdo it. I may try an artificial doubler just to fatten it up some. I'll play around with the TC-Helicon VoicePrism to see if I can get the sound.

Back