New mix just guitars and bass - mix, vox, perc ideas?

Khompewtur

*Retired*
I just started working on new stuff finally getting settled in to my new setup and I'm wondering if things are headed in the right direction.

I think im finally happy with the writing in terms of rhy guitars and bass and I'm wondering what kind of adjustments anyone might make before adding vox and drums.

Also if anyone has any ideas for melodies I'd be happy to hear some ideas. I've been off the mics for about 6 months and I'm feeling pretty rusty. Any thoughts? The download link is below, thanks in advance for any feedback.

Khompewtur idea - Dec 2004

yeah it's all saved as a sonar project, each track separate.

So what exactly do you mean? Is that like there's too much blended moosh mush going on?

not being a metal type guy myself but.!!..the bass could go a bit more sub but i dont know what the drums are doing yet....also if i was doing the stuff your doing my guitar would be almost feeding back so when the chord rang out it would start to scream .. so that there was this kind of anarchy element to it....good to see how it turns out.

zazz said:
not being a metal type guy myself but.!!..the bass could go a bit more sub but i dont know what the drums are doing yet....

As far as bass enhancement right now I think I have a boost on 72hz but yeah it's something I could adjust once i get some perc on there.

zazz said:
also if i was doing the stuff your doing my guitar would be almost feeding back so when the chord rang out it would start to scream .. so that there was this kind of anarchy element to it....good to see how it turns out.

I'm using a POD pro through my daw but at the same time technically I am using an amp. A neat trick I learned a while ago was when I'm tracking guitars I have my studio monitors providing playback and when i turn them up I get all kinds of nice amp behavior, like sustain and feedback so technically it is using an amp. It's just in this case my amp is pure WYSIWYG, there's no longer the unknown of what 3 inches and an SM57 might do to alter the signal. What i hear is what I capture and if I like what i'm hearing I don't have to make any further changes.

I would like more anarchy though, that is definitely a good suggestion. Maybe a bit too controlled.

Kick is too soft for my tastes, no definition really.

Guitar sounds pretty decent for DI. Nice trick man.

Bass guitar has a decent tone to it--but maybe too muddy in the mix.

Other than an overeager low end this is recorded fairly nicely.

Back