New Metal mix... Critique NEEDED!

emergencyexit

Just spent hours mixing this for my bands new CD. I posted a song here before that was a lot rougher than this one. Everything is pretty mixed except for the vocals which are very raw, but I'm not sure what to do with them. My ears are shot and its my own band so I think this is as far as I can go for now with out some opinion.

FEEDBACK PLEASE! on anything really.

By the way me and my band are all 15.

Thanks.

Ben

I got the file, will post later with comments/suggestions if any. I just wanted to mark the thread so I remembered to check back.

To me, it's too loud. Meaning, near clipping right off the bat. I think you need to reduce the levels of everything, then get the vocals in the mix, and bring the mix up as a whole, if necessary. Not trying to be mean, as it sounds like it's a cool tune, but it's pretty distorted here, even though I lowered the volume quite a bit. With all the loud sounds, it's very bright, and I think lowering all the volumes a bit, it will pick up a more full tonal range. You being 15 means you have plenty of time, so don't rush anything. Take your time, and get the results you really want. I promise, you'll be happy you did later.
Ed

Im hearing the same clipping/distortion in the top end that was present in the other track you posted. It is impossible to say what exactly is causing this without hearing the raw tracks but you might want to double check your gain staging. If everything is ok on the way in, then you might be a little more mindful of your meters when your mixing. It sounds like you pushed the master bus to hard or maybe you overcompressed something?
The production needs work but you have plenty of time to figure it out. I could barely run a 4 track and I completely sucked at my instrument at your age lol.

Quite an original sounding mix.
Pretty dsitorted from the limiting though. Sounds like its at -3dB RMS or something!!
I wouldnt take it any further than -8dB, I mean thats still quite louder than most rock CDs.
I like the bass, is that distortion? hard to tell everythin kinda sounds like one, but im thinkin thats the limiting thats messing it up.
I would add some mild distortion to the vox. Kinda Muse sounding vox. They already sound a bit distorted I dont know if you meant that. The backing screams are great.
I like this mix alot, the song is well cool aswell. Something different. :)
Eck

fixed some stuff I hope...

New mix of Pawn:

Please tell me if the problem is still there or if i have now raised new problems. Thanks for your advice already guys. Please continue to critique.

Thanks,

Ben.

Still very very loud dude. Calm the limiting at mastering.
If you get the song on radio then yeah limit the shit out of it (if it doesnt loose all its clarity that is) so it grabs folks attention more compared to other quieter songs. But for a demo or album leave it at around -10dB for the loudest parts.
Vocals dont seem to sit right. Too present.
Can notice some timing issues.
But still enjoyable song to listen to.
Eck

holy shit, you gotta lay off the limiter like 5 or 6 more db on the last song you posted. the reason the high end sounds so bad is because its all thats left of the range that isn't completely squashed to death. i think if you lay off about 6db you'll get a good song

Back