New ears needed on this please...Indie/alt/folk song

mcmac74

Hi

This is my first recording for some time and i'm struggling to get the kind of finish i want ...To my (now overused) ears, it sounded pretty good on the headphones and i'm fairly happy with the mix.... but after mastering and trying in other systems (car stereo etc), the song sounds boxy and i'm struggling to fix it in the mastering without going back and playing with the original instrument recordings. I didn't use too much EQ in the original mix, just a bit on the acoustic guitars. The bass sounds muddy i know and i'm aiming to go back and re-record it but just wondering how the overall mix sounds on your own systems before i go back to the original mix.

A Ferry To Tilbury V1 by mcmac74 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Mark

There is definitely a build up in the lower frequencies. A certain note on that bassline really sticks out and should be turned down.

Vocals are a little loud to me.

I'd add a little high end to that snare.

Listening in a treated room with good gear.

There is definitely a build up in the lower frequencies. A certain note on that bassline really sticks out and should be turned down.

Vocals are a little loud to me.

I'd add a little high end to that snare.

Listening in a treated room with good gear.

Thanks for the feedback. I am gonna re-record the bass so I'll keep an eye on it.

When you mention a build up in low frequencies, any particular part or instrument or an overall issue with the song?

Cheers
Mark

Back