New basic mix using real bass: lab work

Toki987

Rock Steady
Track rat, dach' ,Pipe, Part' Guerni,... anybody. Please let me know how the relationship between the 3 in the bass, kick, snare triad sounds. I`m going to use use real bass on all my stuff and been working on the mix for the basics . I was using midi and trying to get my sound, but it aint the same. Im kinda satisified with this and think I`ll stick with it if it works. In a real tune the triad wont be quite as kicking, so this is just for show. Tell me where I need tweaks please. :)
Toki

BassKit

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2054/singles

Toki - you probably want to listen more to Participant on this than me, but I'll give you my thoughts. Also, I'm listening on computer speakers, so take that into account.

Nice groove. Bass sounds clean and well played. Fender Jazz Bass?

I thought the snare had a tad too much reverb for my taste - but it is a matter of taste. The sound fit the song well though, and other than the reverb I liked it a lot.

Kick and bass seemed to work well together. I didn't hear them fighting with each other at all. Each is nice and distinct, which is what you want.

Sounds like you got it, man. :)

oh man, i can't wait to hear something with that bass. sounds very tight. well played, very clean.

didn't like the drums a whole lot but loved that bass guitar. the snare should be snappier imo.

I appreciate it Dach'. I need other ears cause Im in an loose room using some 30 yr old Jensen 5a's for nearfields so Im not real sure what it sounds like. I probably can`t hear some levels of reverb due to the room. I been thinkin about how i`m gonna vamp it for a while now. That bass is a Geddy Lee Jazz copy made by Ibanez during the lawsuit period with a set of OBL pickups.

Hey, I'm no sound genius...hell, I'm not even sound...period. But that bass tone is great. I'd personally bring the level up a tad, b/c it's kinda' getting out woofed by the kick...but really, it's not even competing with the kick too much; which is cool. It's soooo clean. Yep; it's a great, clean bass sound.

Can you fill me in on what the chain is on the bass. I'm having fits trying to get some definition in my bass tracks.

thanks,
Chris

'preciate it Chris. straight into a Tascam M30, smoothing it a slight touch with an ART Levelar . After I tracked it I used the Timeworks compressor in Sonar, then a touch of graphic eq to pull some of the lows off.

erichenryus: Thank ya, I hope I`m getting closer to getting "my" sound back. I been working pretty hard trying to learn how to use this software recording thing, and brush up on my chops as well. Hopefully there will be some pie before long, maybe with some collab with some of these kick-ass folks here or somebody local if I can scratch a couple up.

Last edited:
Bass sounds great to me toki.I have a hell of a time getting bass tracks to come to life in my mixes.I get no definition like Chris mentioned..it could be my cheap ass bass or my playing.:eek: This sounds like it was recorded miking an amp,but I see that it's DI'd into a tascam mixer......I have a tascam Portastudio 488 MKII lying around here....maybe I should try running my bass through it for some defintion....maybe I should just shut the hell up.:D

Sounds really good.

Toki987 said:

erichenryus: Hopefully there will be some pie before long, maybe with some collab with some of these kick-ass folks here or somebody local if I can scratch a couple up.

lemme know when you're ready and if you need drums or vox.

sounds good Toke.. this is the best sounding version yet.. sweet bass sounds..

I was singing over this as I was listening! :eek:

Hey toki,
...no shit man.... Sweet bass tone. A clear, pristine, Fender Jazz..... absolutely beautiful! Im listening on comp. speakers at work and i hear the exact same thing that dachay2tnr hears. The snare sounds a little verb heavy. It seems to be sucking up too much space. The kick sounds perfect to me here, but again my critique has to be questioned because of what im listening on. Im gonna try and hit this again later at home.
Btw: Very nice groove man.... I hope youve got plans for this, cause if you dont.....I know there are a bunch of cats in here (present company included:D) who are chomping at the bit to get to this:D ....this is a perfect bed to get "creative" over. Very very nice stuff man.....looking forward to whats "next".
g

Thanks Kramer, sam, G, I 'preciate the ears. I dont have this room dry and flat yet so I dont hear some of the stuff as well as yall probly do. The lows fly all over the place in here so I probly overkill the verb a little and dont hear it.

I love this Jazz, it`s been a good old friend. Now the Washburn is active and meaty as a bulls ass, but I got 2 of the pots out right now for replacement, Ill have it runnin again soon.

local for me is Enterprise Al. I'm just outside of Dothan about 80 miles from the gulf.

anything I do is just a thing I scratched down so I wouldnt forget it, or was just messin around. Besides, this is supposed to be fun aint it? :) Anybody is welcome to color on my papers anytime.

server was running really slow, so i could only do the lo-fi version.......still sound pretty good though..........very nice round bass sound......it never seems to get out of hand.............

cool groove

Toke-ey,

Virtually no experience in this genre... but I'm guessing the bass is at the right level, kind of the jazz club thing. I would like more of a "live" sounding snare drum... almost sounds like the drum head needs changed? Some more sizzle... not "live" as in "more room", but more presence/attack. Could be as simple as positioning a mic, or changing a drum head... (or drum sample! :eek: )

But from what I'm hearin here, some very nice tunes. Kick is nice and thumpy--a bit "wide" (takes up a lot of real estate down low)... but has plenty of thump.

Just some more "crack" on the snare... you've got plenty of "toke" already :)

Back