A New Acoustic Song

scottn5388

Hey Folks,

I just recorded this new song and I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on it? I'd appreciate comments on anything; the production, the songwriting, etc.

Thanks A Lot,
Scott

Nice tune !

Scott,
The acoustic sounds real good, i like the chord voicings,
you have a good voice for this song and it flows real well.
The double tracking in a couple spots is a little sloppy , if there
were drums it would hardly be noticable, trim the beginning
out before the guitar starts, and the stops would sound crisper
without the reverb trailing it . over all a very nice job ! i liked it .

RAY

www.rpmrecording.com

Thanks for your comments!

Yeah, I noticed those few spots where the guitars get off a little; I should probably redo the guitars...or at least that part. I might add a drum part to the last 2 refrains.

I'm confused as to what you mean about the trailing reverb.
How would I go about silencing the reverb trails after the vocal stops?

Thanks Again,
Scott

Oh....I didn't track them with any effects, but there is a tiny bit of reverb on them. You think i should get rid of it? Or just in the part where it stops?

Thanks,
Scott

Great job! Loved the sound of the guitars.

I especially liked the vocal counter-melodies near the end. I waited for a drum fill that never came, that really would be great, to finish up the song with a "full" band.

Just in the parts where it stops, it will
give it a tighter feel. you may or may not
like it but give it a try, in most cases your
always better off tracking without printing the effects .

Ray

Some people wanna fill the world...

Songwriting: damn solid. It seems like there are endless production and/or performance directions this could take, and thats a sign of a well written song, IMO.

Recording/production: One thing that screams out to me on this recording is adding harmonies in the chorus. Heck, I'd love to take a stab at it myself (and I'm already set-up to record some vocals for another thing this weekend) so lemme know if you'd be interested.

It sounds like the acoustics are compressed fairly hard, either at the track level or as a result of a mastering compressor boosting the overall volume. I'm getting into taste issues here, but I almost always prefer to allow acoustics to breathe a little more. The performances are solid for the most part and make for a nice stereo spread. A little more dynamic range in 'em would probably sound even sweeter.

The bridge seems like it could use something to spice it up. Maybe something as simple as the bass playing it's own melody and not directly following the guitar rhythm as much... a counterpoint to the rhythm in that part to set it apart a little. Just one thought, lots of possibilities.

I like the electric guitars and bgvs for texture at the end.

Lots of stuff could be done with this or next to nothing at all (just a single mic with acoustic and voice) and it could still shine. Good job.

Thanks again everyone for your helpfull feedback!

I'll take all these into consideration; I wasn't expecting all these positive comments....I think I might re-track everything tomorrow until I get it flawless...there are parts where the guitars get off.

There's no compression on the guitars themselves, but there is one on the main bus. (The Waves L2)...i'll turn up the threshold a bit and see if it gives it a bit more dynamics.

I'll try and write a cool bass part to the bridge and see how it goes...even one in the outro part might sound neat. I'll play around with stuff tomorrow!

Thanks,
Scott

1) The acoustic guitars are outstanding.

2) I'm torn on the vocals. I think what's bugging me is the rhythm of the vocals combined with the rhythm of the guitars. Something just doesn't seem right. The vocal sound is good, and the lyrics are very good. Something just isn't right though.

3) Overall, this is very good.

Out of curiosity, what effects are you using on the vocals?

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're hearing...I used CDex to encode the MP3 @ 160kbps...but then again, the L2 was compressing it fairly hard.

On the vocal tracks, there is a Waves Renaissance Compressor, and some slight Antares Autotuning...they are also running through an Aux Bus which has some Waves RVerb on it (I started with the "Studio A" preset and then tweaked it to taste).

Thanks once again for everyone's help!

-Scott

Nice job...no real nits that haven't been hit on. Be careful with the autotune...(I'm not talking about the way you use it, I'm talking about MENTIONING it, lol...there are some nazis around here...heheheheheeee).

Alright...I re-recorded the whole thing this morning...Tell me what you think...

There's still no drums, but they will come soon!

I also left the older version up as well for comparison...

Thanks For All Your Help,
Scott

Back