In need of fresh ears.......

G,

promise promise promise I'll get to this ASAP... having some problems related to the apartment, here... don't know what my status will be for the next 5 days or so... I'll bet it's good tho!

Chad

Quickie

Loved the gits...all of them, especially the bass, which had definition and punch.

The drums don't bug me until the first changeup. They seem fine for the funk, but sounded kinda' robotic to me during the less funkier parts.

(could I BE any more clueless).

If you're looking for a mix check, levels sound great. Tones too. Drums are buggin' me. Especially the "toms."

Dude, you're so much better at this than I am, I really just wanted to stop by and say "HOWDY," only I don't really speak that way, so it'd be more of a "wassup fool?"

I'll be back.
:D
-chris

Not bad for a start. Nice funky groove. Guitar sounds are cool and well played. I like the snare sound you used. But there's a roll at 1:18 that has that robot drum machine quality to it. It surprised me when it came by cause I was digging it up to that point. It just needs to be humanized somehow.

Hey dude,

Kinda hard to comment.......tracks sound good.

I was a bit in want of a fuller kick to punch the funk beast your building.

I hate when you tease like this:D

Theron.

Track Rat said:
Not bad for a start. Nice funky groove. Guitar sounds are cool and well played I like the snare sound you used. But there's a roll at 1:18 that has that robot drum machine quality to it. It surprised me when it came by cause I was digging it up to that point. It just needs to be humanized somehow.
Okay, he basically said what I was trying to say...only with more precision and actual words that can be found in a dictionary. I mean, Trackrat used the words "funk" and "robot" and...and ... "guitars," and...well, you get my point.

:D

G

Sounds fine! Spread out well and very crisp.
Nice bass line, The phased guitar sounds a hair thin at times but that may be how you are playin' it also.

Nice snare, could use a little more definition on the kick.
Its like the snare sounds so well pronounced and has a snappier tone that it makes the rest of the drums a little muddy.
But they are still WAAYYY better than the tin cans and pot lids sound I create!

Without knowing where you are going with this there isn't much else to say...................ahhh what the hell......

Get the Lt. to stick a FULL Horn section at the beginning thing you got going there.

Sounds Big Band

Hey,...........I'm tryin' to help here!

Very Cool !:D ;)

pretty cool G.. sounds great..

if the other instruments were louder, the drums would sound better I think.. more bass drum too..

sounds like another winner in the making..

really nice bass!

F.U.N.K.....hurry up with this already dammit! Love the tone&playing of the gtr's and bass.

Funky!:D

Cool groove,the bass rocks!
I really liked the guitar sound when the full chords come in.
Those two stops at 00:37&45 were great.

I just thought the picking/funk guitar tone wasn't defined enough.
Didn't have enough bite.IMHOP:)

Are the guitars from the Pod,nice tone?

The mix sounds great,looks like it's going to be a good one.
Looking foward to hearing more!

Thanks,
Pete

You got my morning ears.....

All sounded good except for the drums....

too neat and perfect....ya know?

Please re-post when it's done man...very cool jam,
Joe

Thanks fellas,

Chad-thanks man

Chris-wussup wit choo foo..:D I know what you mean. The drums in this really show how limited my selection of tools is.
I may rip some of them down...and start over..... .....ugh! thanks for taking the time..... and quit putting yourself down.. your stuff kicks!

track rat-thanks for the listen, I'll work on warming those drums up... somehow.?.... .

Theron- Thanks man, I hear ya about the kick..... kinda got lost in there. Not sure if Im gonna fix it w/ just a different sound...or a level change.....hmmm.... ..thanks for listening

jcmm- thanks for listening man. I think im gonna have to rip into those drums some more.... I tried to get all fancy w/ the kick levels on the machine in this, and they just ended up kinda buried..... ....back to the drawing board:) ....and of course the work of the LT. is always welcomed..... but he's a busy man, and I surely understand that.

Sam- thanks man. This was kinda tough to get levels on. Thats why i put it up for ears. I think the problem centers on those farking drums..... The drum nazi's are gonna maul me on this one.:D

David-T.H.A.N.K.S. man :)

Pete- Thanks man. All of the electrics are through a J-station. I actually took alot of mids off of the picked guitar part youre speaking of. It seemed a little "pointed" to me.... I'll take another look at that.

Joro- Thanks man..... yeah, a drum machine aint got no soul:)

damn, G. Shoot me thru the heart. It's disco. Boogie nights. Great guitars. Gonna be another great tune from you.

dtb

Sounds like some cool ideas....I can't wait to hear what you sing with this. I want to hear how you make the transition from the funk to the chorus. It's open to some interesting possibilities.
As for the drums, I find that you need to be careful about isolating certain things in a canned drum track. For example, that tom that's panned left is standing out there all naked and will probably soon be arrested. But I know you've got big plans for your gear furture, so that will be a fresh adventure for ya. Good stuff here man...and you've got a fantastic voice, so it should be nice (that's assuming you'll be adding vocals)!

Oh hey, PM me your address so I can mail you a CD of Look Away. (screw the MP3 crap :) ) I accidently threw away the envelope you sent your tracks in.

peace
tom

this is definitely mixed well........no glaring problems or anything.............the guitars sound great.....throw some vocals down on this sucker and it's gonna be tight............

hey G...

takin a break here... gotta clear my head from all the schtuff that's been goin down on my end :( :o...

anywho... very funkmeister... likes... likes it a lot...

Your drums sound much better than they have in the past... until that snare roll! :eek: ;) Do you have a velocity-sensitive drum machine/emulator/whatever? I find you can program decent snare/tom rolls if you start about 1/16 or 1/32 before the beat, and roll in softly... Of course, this requires a multi-level wave sound in the drumkit.

Nothing glaringly wrong with the mix... guitars have that 1.7-2.3kHz tone that's purely a matter of what-you-like.

It would be interesting to see if you can add a part where the bass settles into a groove, and pushes the song forward... like a chorus... cuz what you have here sounds like intro's & verses so far... jmho, but walky basslines during a chorus don't work too well... but what do I know? You're the funk-en-stein! :p

--A shout to all... hopefully I can continue here at the clinic and at HR.com... if I survive the weekend :o I'll get to y'all's toons asap.

Chad

really dig the bass sound and playing. Yeah, the kick with more lows would please me more, and the drums would sound better to me if turned down a bit.

I noticed that the guitar was pretty dead center, have you tried to pan it to the side a bit? I dunno, I keep wishing/imagining it was panned to the right a little.
What's your chain for the bass? Really love it!

AL

are you sure MISTERQCUE didn't play the bass on this. he he he he, had another listen. Still sounds great.

dtb

sounds like the basis of a good funk/rock tune. Reminds me of early talking heads....I like the guitar parts, they jive together well. The drums didnt bother me, i like the snare tone...though the cymbal sounds....well you know....As far as mix the first thing I thought was that the bass could use some high end clarity-especially for this kind of tune---that,and add some punch to the kick drum and you'll be there.

Hey folks,

dtb thanks man, thanks for the misterque comparison... he laid down some FAT tracks on that last thing that he did. I might PM him one of these days about doing a song w/ nothing but bass and perc/drums.... could be fun.

sluiceHey Tom, I spoke to you in the PM. .....the drums need alot of massaging on this. Im working w/ a drum machine the doesnt play well with others....... :D ......hurry up Christmas!!

powderfinger-thanks man, vocals on the way.....

Chad-Hey bro..... I hope shit aint too hairy over there.... "all bad things pass" (words to live by). Yeah, the drum machine is velocity sensitive, or so they say in the manual:D I would say not really. ...Ive got a dr770, and am about sick of it. ..very limiting, as ive found all "drum machines" to be. I always look to you for guit tone specs. You helped me out alot on "unconditional". Thanks for that. Whenever I write on bass, I tend to go funky.... that's my roots....... Stanley Clarke, etc. It's where the fun is. As far as the song structure goes,
It'll work ok. Thanks man :)

AIA2-Thanks for listening man, I'll take another look at the guit panning. I sold all of my "good" bass gear back in 90's when i quit playing out, so now Im a minimalist..... somewhat direct w/ compression...... ...thasssa bout it.

Stratomaster Hey strat, I agree about the clarity you speak of. Unfortunately, Im down to 1 bass and little gear (see reply to A1A2). .....need more options damnit!:D ($$$$) Ive changed the kick already.... its a little better. Thanks for listening man:)

g

Back