My version of D'Angelo, The Line -mp3

Paco

pH meter
Hi all,
I know I can't possibly sound like D'Angelo, but it's fun to try!...this recording was mostly a test of my new equipment and not meant for perfection, but I'm curious to hear some feedback(sansamp, nt1, echo mia, and some other stuff). So, what do ya think? Be cruel if you want!

Thanks!
Paco

Awwww Yeah...

Be Cruel?

Sorry..Won't happen.

You have a good voice there, brother..

The bass line was clear, good in the mix.
A little on the trebly side for me...

Nice guitar chops & effects.

Not sure if all the clicking & popping was on my side or not.
Maybe others can answer that one for me.

Excellent singing!
One of the better vocalists I have heard around here in a long time.

Great job, Paco.

VI

Wow, thanks for the compliments! I'm surprised - I'm always embarrassed of my voice.

I think you're right about the trebly sound on the bass, now that I listen to it again! Time to EQ I guess! (I actually didn't EQ anything in the mix - just added reverb, soundforge wave hammer "master for 16bit", and that's it!)

I think the clicking and popping might be because it was streamed (I hope?)

The drum machine is a Boss DR770. I programmed a custom drum kit (as custom as it can get by mixing and matching and applying effects, volume adjustment, and panning to the built-in sounds). I found out by accident that it can sound pretty interesting if I max the output volume on the DR770 just enough that it gets a little bit distorted. I think it might have too much reverb on the kit, but without it, it kind of sounds a little too robotic.

In case anyone is curious, for vocals I used a Rode NT1 upside down through an ART Tube MP preamp, mixed 70/30 with a Marshall MXL1006 rightside-up right below it (so capsules are on top of each other) straight through the 802A behringer mixer. That's the closest sound I could get to my dream mic, the Neumann TLM103!

For the guitar, I used a marshall 603 small diaphragm condenser about 4 feet from my Mesa Boogie DC5 amp, and used a semi hollow body Ibanez Artstar guitar through a phaser pedal. Lightly compressed on the RNC.

The bass was an Ibanez GSR200 cheapy ($200) straight through a SANSAMP DI box ($160), with fast attack and slow release on the RNC compresser.

Thanks again for the reply, VI!

Anybody else have any comments? Please feel free!

Last edited:
nah, we didn't screw him up. some theory states that for every action, there is a equal and opposite something something.

hEY kc gaL..

As soon as you click on that link, it should start loading into your player right away.

I use Windows Media Player, and it loaded immediately.

VI

Back