My latest mix, and first song on this BBS!

DarthFaders said:
I hope you like it, rip it apart if you wish...but please be honest.

Cool handle. For some reason I thought this was going to be some metal..:D

Good tune but it needed a guitar solo......especially at the end. It sounded familiar to me , like I have heard it before. These types of songs are pretty catchy and the drums had a good live sound to them IMOP. I think some guitar solos would have made it a lot cooler.. Good recording, especially at 320kbps..

I like the change at 3:00ish.................so start soloing around 4:30 ish and do not stop until the end..:D (these are just my honest preferences) It really is a good tune! I rrrrrrrrreally like the vocals at the end!

good job overall!

I always preface my posts here by saying how rarely I post in the MP3 clinic... (as if it's some kind of honor or something) :p because I'm way too picky of a music listener.. and I don't like having to tell people that their stuff sucks. :D But I just wanted to say that this mix is great. The song is good,.. it's not something I stood in awe of or anything,.. but it's a good song. Mainly, though, the mix is excellent. Very pro-like quality to it... very lively drums, good guitar sounds... and nice vocals. I do agree that it needs a solo outro. But as far as the over-all sound quality, this is a great home recording.

WATYF

I didn't write or perform on the song, just engineered and mixed it. I thank you guys for the compliments on the mix, as that's what I did! As far as the writing goes, I had nothing to do with it. If you liked the mix, then I did my job well, and I thank you for listening and giving me input. I will let the band know your suggestions.

Thank you, WATYF and B.SABBATH for being kind. Everyone else at this BBS hasn't been nice so far...but who's keeping track, huh? :D Keep rockin' it!!!!!!!

Darth

WATYF said:
I always preface my posts here by saying how rarely I post in the MP3 clinic... (as if it's some kind of honor or something) :p because I'm way too picky of a music listener.. and I don't like having to tell people that their stuff sucks. :D But I just wanted to say that this mix is great. The song is good,.. it's not something I stood in awe of or anything,.. but it's a good song. Mainly, though, the mix is excellent. Very pro-like quality to it... very lively drums, good guitar sounds... and nice vocals. I do agree that it needs a solo outro. But as far as the over-all sound quality, this is a great home recording.

WATYF

Wow, member for 2 years and only 80 posts. Hehe...I guess you are too picky a BBSer too....don't want to have to tell people their threads suck ;)

Sounds pretty damn good to me. Liked the vocals and the snare a lot. Guitars are OK, a little washed out sounding maybe. What did you do to get that huge snare sound? What did you use to compress the mix or did you get this mastered? Thanks.

I am a newbie at recording, but i know what sounds good. Great mix! Sounds like the Posies to me. The vocals and drums are superb. If you have ever heard "Frosting on the Beater" by the Posies--that is the drum sound exactly. Huge!!

I agree that there seems like more could be done with guitar lines to add some interest or break up the song a bit.

A very hi-class effort in all.

Thanks guys! That snare sound is a 57 on an old Ludwig snare, compressed like hell and eq'd a lot. I recorded it on a Roland VS-2480. As far as mastering goes, I just used the Waves L1 Ultramaximizer on it, and that's all. The guy who wrote this song: his favorite album ever is "Frosting on the Beater"!

Darth

On drums and vocals...

IMO, a lot of people put too much emphasis on guitars in the mix...that is, the guitar is always in your face, and the other intruments get lost, especially high frequency stuff like cymbals and vocal sibilance.

In my limited experience, I try to think about drums first, then vocals, and then other instruments like guitars when mixing. Maybe it's simplistic, but to my ears the drums and vocals are what carries a song.

You have a great drum sound, especially the snare, in this song. The vocals are also well done. I like the doubling vocal as the song builds into the chorus. The split octave vocals at the end is a nice touch. Personally, I would love to hear harmony on the chorus, but I love the big harmonies...:p

Nice job on the mix, and compliments to band!

LOL...

Yeah,.. I see your point. but in addition to being a musician, I'm also a computer geek.. So I have to balance my time between posting on music BBS's and Computer nerd BBS's like Sharky Forums. :D

P.S. Amen to that SLuiCe.. I hate this guy almost as much as I hate the guy from this thread. :D I refuse to believe these are home recordings.. not because I think they're lying,... but simply because I don't want to have to come to grips with the fact that my recordings suck so bad. :p

WATYF

DarthFaders,

I believe SLuiCe was only giving you a compliment in his own way.

The recording is great and so is the song. What's the band called?

How did you record the vocals? They are so rich.

I don't like the idea of a guitar solo, but some added guitar lines like sunpowder suggested would be cool.

Also, the bass sounds just a little to weak to me.

I didn't even think of the Posies until it was pointed out and I've got every song they've ever put out on vinyl...

giggsy

The vocals sound "Joemeek" to me. Did you use an opto-compressor on them by chance? (Joemeek, Focusrite Penta, or Wave's RCL Opto setting)?

Nice mix, by the way.

Giggsy, the band name is Roger. The vocals are U87 through a focusrite pre, along with a lot of EQ, compression, and editing. I agree that the bass is a bit weak at points, and that has always bothered me!

Chessrock, the vocal compression is a combination of the VS-2480's compression and the Waves RCL. It's mostly the 2480, though.

Thanks to all who have listened and given input, you give me faith in this board! I'm really excited that I found this BBS, and I'm really glad that you guys seem to like my mix, as well as definitley giving very noteworthy advice.

Darth

It was most certainly a compliment!

I've been spending the last couple months learning Sonar with my Korg and guitars. You've got some great BREATH in that recording. Are you tracking analog or digital media? Which one?

And ummm...can you offer any tips?
www.nowhereradio/sluice/singles "Nights" is the one I'm working on now. I hope no one minds my asking you here.

As far as the song itself goes, though you didn't write it. It is one excellent pop song- truly excellent. Very nice vox. I echo B. Sabbath about the last minute or so. However since they probably perform live, maybe splitting those guitars up might make some of the bottem drop out.

I have nothing to say about the recording except...well...I hate you.

:-)

SLuiCe, I recorded it on a Roland VS-2480.

You might want to put the .com in your link, took me a minute to figure out what was wrong with the link!

The guitars at 3:38 sound really fabulous! It's good mix, I say! It could really use real drums, ya know? It is a drum machine, right?!?! Is that you singing?

Darth

Darth, I echo everything good that anyone said about your mix. Personally I didn't care for the vocal, but I'm not talking about the quality of the mix, I felt like his voice was flat in spots.

How did ya get that nice delay on the snare (some people paste onto another track and move it)?

And if ya dont mind another question, how did you pan the effects on the vocals? It might seem like a retarded question to ask but I've been reading some cool things on panning lately.

AWESOME job of mixing, Darth!

Peace, S/R

What do you mean about the delay on the snare...the performance just a little behind the beat? If that's what you mean, then it's just because the drummer is an absolutely incredible rock drummer. I didn't doctor his performance at all.

All vocals and reverbs were panned in the middle, if I remember correctly, except for the big reverbs on the vox towards the end (the "oohs".) For those, the reverb was center, but the 2 vox were 9:00 and 3:00.

Thanks for listening, I'm glad that you liked the mix!

Darth

On the snare, I thought I heard that real quick delay (which is a good thing). Most engineers either add this quick delay to make the fills sound more powerful, or they'll cut and paste (on a DAW) which is the same as creating the delay, just doing it manually. It's not doctoring, just effects my friend!

Anyway, behind beat or not, sounds great :)!

Back