'My Friend Silence'...my 1.5

I really like this song. Like the "woo hoo hoo's". Real nice melody line. Good voice. I like the double tracked guitars. Drums were ok.

The only thing I don't like about the 1.5 thing is I don't feel right about being picky. After all, it was a quick production. Oh yeah, I heard a pop at 2:38 :D:D:D.

Seriously, I'd keep honing this sucker. Harmonies and such... Good song.

Smokepole .....i appreciate the listen

Triple M.....thanks for listening........i'll have to investigate the pop

long live the woo hoos

Real cool man. a nice "mello" rock tune. all of the tracks sound great! the only thing: mabye turn the vocal down just a hair, because it seems to muck "up front". how did you record the guitar? it sounds killer!

Good song man.

ZEKE

what up zeke....thanks for the suggestions

as for the guitars....they were a close miced Randall practice amp with an sm-58.........i usually play with a marshall amp, but i don't record with it much anymore as i get better results with my practice amp........the marshall has to be really loud to sound good.........my practice amp sounds great and really big at low volumes with high gain.........hope that helps

That songs got a really nice feel to it. The structure is good. They already touched on the bass and drums, I like em loud :) Guitar picking and tone is good, reall big sounding. Your a good singer fella.

Powderfinger: Cool song, I especially like the drive/punch after about 1:30 you know the wo hoo part. before that the guitar part seems a little overpowering in the mix, maybe too constant. But I have to tell you Ive been listening to my and others stuff for a couple of hours and my TINNITUS is acting up, which causes me to be sensitive to excess overdiven sounds. Just what you needed eh feedback from a deaf wannabe musician:D

peace
Bill

Nice job! I enjoyed this one...burned it to a cd, in fact. The"Cars" section brought me back to my youth!

Will be listening to it some more this week. Thanks.

toki, thanks for the suggestions, i appreciate the words

wfaraoni, tinnitus is no good, and i know how the ears can get sensetive after listening to the phones too much.....thanks for listening

BobOC, on a CD? sounds great man. that's an ultimate compliment

The song was good. It was like a cross between Petty and the Cars. Great job for just 1.5 This would definantly be worth cleaning and tightening up. The guitar tones sounded good. I agree with the others on bringing the bass up and the gtrs down a bit.
I despise programming my drum machine and it saps my enthusiasim also. Cool lyrics.
Myx

Sounds really great Drew,I dig your voice,very fine.
Nice laidback style you have.
Good writing and melody man.

QUOTE-
"also, the structure is kind of odd because of my lack of enthusiasm towards programing drums......."

Ain't that the truth,I'd rather eat glass than program drums!:D

Another very cool tune!
Thanks for sharing it,
Pete

Myx, yeah i think i've got enough positive feedback to want to clean this one up......thanks for listening

Pete, i think i would record twice as much if i played drums or had a drum.......but as it is, it takes real motivation to want to program out a song.....it kind of stifles the process for me........anyhow, thanks for listening

powder-

i like the guitar tones. i like the song too. did you play everything?
i should check out some more of your stuff...especially since you mentioned uncle tupelo. my taste probably leans more jeff than jay, but that band was pioneering. what other of your tunes have that influence?

michael

michael,

yeah, i played everything but the drums (loops).

yes, uncle tupelo are amazing aren't they? if i had to say two tunes of mine online that have the most obvious influence from that, it would be " drivin' " and "just a day in your life" ......i had some other ones up that kind of had that tone and influence.....but i took them down a while back.......check out those two though.....

i would agree that jeff is my favorite too.......i think jay might have been a little more consistant of a writer in uncle tupelo, but jeff ended up writing 80% of my favorite songs of theirs.....my all time favorite of theirs "new madrid", jeff's song...........also, since their break-up, i think jeff has proved that he is on a whole different level

thanks for listening

I didn't really like the vocal sound on this to much. Seemed overcompressed and overly up-front relative to the music. Like i was listening to the vocal on a pair of headphones and the music was just bleeding through. I want it to feel like the bands playing in the rooom with the vocalist. The do-do do part reminded me of Pavement, with that distorted guitar panned hard right. Good song the mix just didn't grab me.

Is the bass really, really low in this tune? I'd lower the guitar in left pan and bring up the bass. Good song for what it is, I didn't care for the vocals though, not really my style

James HE, the vocal "seemed overcompressed"...yeah, because this was just a short 1.5 deal, the vocal on this was a complete experiment.......i had the line in at a very low level so there would be no distortion (i really need a outboard compressor) and then i had to bring it up to the level of everything else with a software compressor......just an experiment

lynx, thanks for the mix comments.....yeah, bass is really low

M.Brane, thanks for listening......yeah, that low watt amp is probably the best trick i have.......

I'll just say it like it is. Well it's not really my style, I think the song is a little lame (or is it laim??). You obviously have talent and great vocals. I've listened to some of your other stuff and liked it a lot more. I'd change the outra into a simple fade-out.

Who was tickeling so you could do those whoo-oo's? They made me laugh :)

I don't want to sound negative, but if you think I did just don't care about my opinion.

Back